Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GMPP LS3 with GMPP Controller Tacho control

Lifetime Member

The longer the thread gets, the more we go in circles !

Current ECM & tune - can only copy segment from a System folder from another tune of the same OS - not very probable as this is a proprietary GMPP OS (non-production). Means wiring a resistor / tach adapter.

Current ECM - reflashing with production OS - as you know, E38 & E67 don't actually get a full reflash - require an appropriate "base tune" to already be in the ECM - not sure how this would workout with GMPP tune. May have to have a "base tune" loaded in the ECM via a Tech 2.

The last option - different E67 with appropriate base already installed (from auto recycler) - then tune from there.

Those are all of the options I can think of - personally, I would just wire in the Tach - pick the "best" place (away from known sources of moisture) solder everything, and seal it in 2 overlapping layers of shrink tubing.

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks Taz!

Completely clear.

Lifetime Member

Taz, you can full flash E38/E67s as long as you are careful and know that the new OS will not brick the ECM. For example, I bought a set of cores off a friend with an 07 TBSS OS and full flashed my 08 TBSS OS. Only issue was the VIN, I had to manually reprogram it. For a GMPP OS to a stock OS, Im not sure which ones work as I have not tried it before. E67s dont seem to be as picky as E38s from what Ive seen, just dont flash a 10+ OS into an 06-08 E67.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Yes, you can use the full flash option on E38 / E67 ... but my understanding is that doesn't copy over everything - like a full flash on an LS1-B style PCM. If the original (donor) E38 / E67 was from a V6 (etc.), that original "platform" would remain resident in the ECM, even after a full flash. Just need to confirm the "base tune" is compatible with the eventual "end product".

Turbocamaro - I should have used "lol" instead of "!" in the above thread #21 - was laughing, not frustrated. Hope I didn't misconvey that.

Regards,
    Taz

No worries,TAZ. No conveyance taken.

I was thinking there would have already been some experience with the crate motors and controllers GM has released. It seems as though it isn't so therefore we have some learning to do. I think that it will probably be simpler on future builds to not use the GM Performance controllers rather use a custom harness and factory type controller.

Lifetime Member

Questions like yours seem common with the GMPP systems ... I've never used one ... but it appears GM should provide more "up front" information, or more detailed instructions. I'm guessing GM's intent was to allow the end user to setup the system without the need for any programming - hence the analogue gauge outputs. For an experienced person or professional shop, it limits certain tuning options.

Probably half of the transplants I've done have used a re-worked OEM harness (most cost effective option as the customer often gets the harness with the engine). Just takes a little time to make it look nice !

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Questions like yours seem common with the GMPP systems ... I've never used one ... but it appears GM should provide more "up front" information, or more detailed instructions. I'm guessing GM's intent was to allow the end user to setup the system without the need for any programming - hence the analogue gauge outputs. For an experienced person or professional shop, it limits certain tuning options.

Probably half of the transplants I've done have used a re-worked OEM harness (most cost effective option as the customer often gets the harness with the engine). Just takes a little time to make it look nice !

Regards,
    Taz
    It seems crazy to sell a performance motor/ controlling system and not have a "ready to go" tach setup.. Or like you said "information disclosed that your tach is going to take more time than your whole install" lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123