Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GMPP LS3 with GMPP Controller Tacho control

Default GMPP LS3 with GMPP Controller Tacho control

I have done an GMPP LS3 with MPP Controller swap into an early Camaro and am trying to configure the tach output. However the CAL/OS, 12607096/19211212, doesn't have the Tach parameters. Is there a way to add these to the Cal or utilize another Cal and flash the PCM?

Attached is the Cal file I pulled from the PCM (Note: There were some incorrect checksums which I have updated in this file however have not yet flashed to the PCM)Loco_E67_Read_Flash_Update_Checksum_0001.tun

Lifetime Member

Hello TurboCamaro,

An LS3 in a vintage Camaro will be great ride when you’re done ! Drawing a mental blank on the “MPP Controller” – marine ?

Is the wiring harness and controller from GM ? If they so, these are often setup with analogue gauge outputs.

Assuming the ECM is an E67, the “System” folder is present (where Tach parameters would be), but empty – in the tune you posted. A segment swap of a system folder from the same OS (19211212) would add the parameters you want. I don’t have this OS in my database – wondering if it’s a GMPP stand alone type OS.

Some addition information regarding the ECM and wiring harness would be helpful (ie. both from GMPP, etc.)

I responded to your post in this thread, as the link to your tune doesn’t work in the E38 / E67 / E37 thread.

Regards,
    Taz

HI TAZ
    Yes the harness and ECM is a GM Performance piece.

Thanks

Lifetime Member

OK … if the harness and ECM are both from GMPP …

The ECM OS will be proprietary … using a non-production OS.

The wiring harness will usually have wires (pinouts) for analogue gauges, for a transplant into a custom vehicle. These connections should include an analogue Tach output – check the instructions that came with the wiring harness for compatible tachometers, and required settings of the Tach (4 / 6 / 8 cylinder).

Given that these gauge outputs are analogue, controlled by the base OS program, there will be no way (that I know of) to adjust these via tuning software. You are probably stuck using compatible gauges (or gauge sensor input / output) as described in the instructions that should have came with the wiring harness / ECM kit.

Regards,
    Taz

I looked in the tun file and I saw an early style VIN... I take it that it doesn't matter that the VIN doesn't match the late style VIN format, would this be correct...?

Lifetime Member

Hello Joecar,
    Regarding your VIN question - I’m not 100% sure. The GMPP ECM is designed for transplants into non-stock applications. The OS is proprietary, and I don’t think the VIN entered by the end user matters.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by joecar; September 26th, 2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed reference to duplicate threads, makes thread continuous

I am working on this same issue with a 68 camaro and a TIC TOC TACH. I read somewhere to trick the tach by programming it as a 4 cylinder and then the tach reads. I have an E38 PCM. not sure where to change the tach settings in the programmer.

Engine is L92 with VVT and LS3 intake.

I did find this. Not sure it applies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tach_circuit_fix[1].jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	9084

Current settings are

1201 = Serial Data
    1202 = 2
    1203 = 2
    Last edited by 68problemchild; September 26th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Lifetime Member

The diagram you have is for a tach “pull up” circuit. This often is needed if the tach pulses from the ECM are too weak to trigger the tach being used.

TurboCamaro has a different gauge problem than you. His GMPP tune does not have the tach settings in the system folder.

In your case set G1201 (Tachometer type) to “Crank”. The tach output will then be on connector C1 pin 48.

I’m not sure where to set your G1202 & G1203 values. In a Gen III with a 24x CKP these would be set to “6” for a 4 cylinder Tach (OEM), and “3” for an 8 cylinder Tach.

Not sure where to set the 58x CKP values … have yet to do an E38 conversion …

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; September 26th, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

That is awesome Taz. That should get me there. Thanks so much.

Sorry for the thread jacking....

Thanks guys.

We have used a tach adapter in other cars however it would be so much simpler to configure the PCM. Plus using the tach adapter the coil harness have to be cut into and spliced which is usually a recipe for a problem down the road.

The VIN is the VIN as it was supplied by GMPP, it has not been modified yet. I will be modifying it though as with the ?? in the first 2 characters I believe you do not get the extended PIDs with the scanner.

It seeming more and more like we should be using other sources of harnesses and PCM's. One of the cars is an automatic so the trans and engine have separate controllers. It would be nice to pin the engine controller to allow control of the trans however the tables are not in the Cal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast