Thread: Ambient air temperature (AAT / SAE.AAT)

Default Ambient air temperature (AAT / SAE.AAT)

I have a 2001 corvette z06, OS 12593358, Calibration 12200411, def file version 7.94

I am new to the entire GM tuning scene but I have used Craig Moates' Ford tuning tools for some time. When it was time to get into tuning my C5 I went on his recommendation for EFILive. I must say its a pretty amazing product since I stared my tuning days with Mike Glover's hardware. Its impressive how far things have come.

Regardless, I want to get a good foundation on my data logging and manipulation of logs before I dive too far into tuning. I have installed a vararam and would like to do some simple logging of temps and pressure. (Differential pressure with an external pressure sensor connected to the A/D inputs that I haven't done yet)

I know the C5 has an ambient air temp sensor near the radiator air inlet, but the PID SAE.AAT says its unsupported. Is this value coming from some other PID I don't see in the list?

I am able to log IAT (SAE:IAT) but I am assuming this is the sensor in the MAF housing.

Thanks you
    Philip

Lifetime Member

I think the ambient air temperature sensor on the corvette might be attached to the BCM, not the PCM. You can probably just use the external analog input on the V2.
    2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Lifetime Member

BTW, welcome to the EFILive forums!

Don't be surprised if no one answers your post right away, some of us are awake at odd hours of the night.
    2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Hi Philip,

Welcome as nevinsb said

The pid GM.AAT is for something else (I'm not sure what)...

In your car the ambient air temp sensor is read by the HVAC controller module, see attached...

EFILive reads only engine/trans pids.

Yes, GM.IAT is the IAT sensor integrated with the MAF sensor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HVAC.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	9087  

Lifetime Member

Hi Philip,
    Glad to see you have a Z, I have an 04 myself. I too am a new tuner and wow there is a lot to learn, but let me tell you this is fun!

As far as your car goes, yup the ambient temp sensor is down at the opening to the radiator. It does not look like the temp signal is sent to the PCM. So I think you will have to just keep an eye on your HVAC control head dispaly, and if AAT is something of importance you could always include that info in the name of your Log file.

Just a couple of things I have noticed while playing around with my car is the MAF signal really jumps around a bit in the Corvettes. The guys over at the Corvette Forum claim this is due to the MAF placement being immediately after the air filter with unequal diameter inlet vs outlet piping. Not sure if you will experience that or not with the Vararam. If you can get some good WOT Logs uploaded I'd like to see them for comparison. I'd also be interested to see how much more flow the Vararam is said to have over a simple intake set-up (like mine).

One other thing, that I found pretty cool, is that you can view/scan your trans. temps as well. All the C5 Z06s are equipped with trans. fluid temp. sensors. Not a huge thing for a street car but the track guys would love it.

Have fun learning like me!