Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newguy...

Default newguy...

Hello all,
    im 16 and newish to this stuff, so any and all help is great.
    My vehicle is a 2000 S10 with 2002 OS
    i just got done swapping my old black box PCM for the newer 0411 PCM and im excited to jump into all of this.
    Taz is helping me get started with a LC Cax file so in a few days ill have installed one and will have that knowlage.
    on one of the members avatar it says "Tunned with EFILive" is this done with a CAX file?

Thanks to everyone,
    Branden

No, a cax is a file for opening table parameters in the tune file. The tuned by efilive message only occurs during flashing in some systems.
    See here. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13738
    The Tremor at AIR

Lifetime Member

Yup, EFILive can display whatever you put in the text file on compatible clusters during a flash. But, it can even depend on the model of the vehicle, for example my TrailBlazers have the Driver Info Center (DIC) option so I can see fuel economy, miles til empty, etc so I see what's in my text file during a flash but guys who have the same truck without a DIC cluster dont get anything.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

It is a small text file and can be changed to read what ever you want , as Erik said , there has to be a way of seeing it thought .
    Changed it to say , Flashing , Ready to roll !
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

ooooh, gotchya.
    well is there any good CAX files worth doing? like in your opinions?

Thanks,
    Branden

Lifetime Member

Im not sure you understand exactly what a .cax file does yet, it allows outside (ie not EFILive) parties to add tables that EFILive has not added. It is not something you do, it just gives you more tables to change than the regular EFILive calibration does. If you want to create them, you need to be well versed in hex editing, bin disassembly, and know where the breakpoints occur and the units for different tables. Way over my head still and Ive been at this for 4.5 years now (I started when i was 16 and a half so Im right there with ya man).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

For example, if you know of a table that is not mentioned by the EFILive tunetool, and you know it's address/format/attributes in flash, then a cax file allows you to define this table for viewing/editing by the EFILive tunetool.

Lifetime Member

Lean cruise is the only one really worth doing since they added "Dynamics" tables to Efilive, we don't need the transient fueling cax files any
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by nevinsb View Post
    Lean cruise is the only one really worth doing since they added "Dynamics" tables to Efilive, we don't need the transient fueling cax files any
    There are still a couple of tables that the .cax files support for dynamics that are necessary. For instance the boiling time & impact modifiers. Once we get some time the .cax files will be edited to remove the doubled up parameters.
    Blindawg, most of the time, the tables already defined by Efilive will be all you need to get a vehicle tuned well. Making .cax files can be extremely time consuming. So those of us that do make them look for a genuine need before making them up.
    The Tremor at AIR

Lifetime Member

Total face palm there. I thought "Evaporation Time" B3403 and B3404 was the same as "Boiling time," but I see those aren't present in other calibrations, just the ones I have been looking at recently. Guess it's time to go to bed.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast