Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calc. VE Tuning - Newbie getting started

Default Calc. VE Tuning - Newbie getting started

I just got my v2 and have spent the afternoon figuring out how to do a Calc. VE tune. I've got the calc pids, maps, filters, etc all setup. I don't yet have a wideband O2. I don't see where it's used in the calculations/corrections. Why is it shown as required in the Introduction? Which PID shows the existing O2 output?

Am I correct that this is the first thing I want to do in my tune? I'm starting with a mail order tune that seems to be running well. I just want to dial it in as close as I can, and verify that it's all correct.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Hi there.

You can do a lot of the CALC.VE Table Tutorial just using your factory Narrow-Bands (O2's). Where you must utilize a wideband is when you start going into PE Mode (>50% Throttle, etc).

When in closed-loop you utilize the LTFTBEN portion of the calculation. PE Mode is open-loop. The formula still calculates your VE in PE Mode by utilizing the MAF Frequency, IAT, ECT, etc. The wideband is to get your actual fueling correct.

Remember, both MAF & VE are Airflow Tables. Fueling needs need to be addressed with a wideband.

If you intend to stay Closed-Loop and keep your MAF enabled, CALC.VE Table will allow you to maximize airflow, fueling and spark loads..both at Idle and WOT.

Hope that helps..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

I'm still not clear, lol. Remember, I'm a newbie at this.

I will be keeping the MAF. Bottom line, how do I tune the MAF and VE tables without a wideband O2? It appears to me that the wideband O2 is only used to ensure the results are correct. It doesn't appear to be used in the calculations at all.

On another note, I'm getting all 0.00 values in the VE_Table map, and 0.0 and an occasional 0.1 in the LTFTBEN map. What would cause this? I thought maybe I had some metric/imperial values mismatched, but they are not.
    Last edited by blsnelling; October 2nd, 2010 at 01:05 PM.

Here are my pid files. calc_pids.txt, Calc.VE.pid

Rename these to .map files. CALC.LTFTBEN.txt, CALC.VE_Table.txt

On this topic, I am trying to add the 3 required extra PIDs and when I open the scan tool it gives an error message that it can't find them and closes.

"Hint, Additional information about use and creation of calculated
    PID’s can be found in the EFILive Scan Tool help manual."

(Where?)

"format of this file is explained in the file itself. Use a text file editor to load the file and read the inline ments." (all I found there)

"Error code: ERR_CONFIG/92

C:\Users\User\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt(54): Units /(4.800)*{SAE.RPM}*{SAE.MAP.kPa})*{CALC.LTFTBEN}" not found. . "
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

You can use my calc_pids file above.

I'm wondering if I'm getting all 0.00 in my VE_Talbe map because it can't find the displacement. I just replaced that with 5.964, and will see what happens.

I see where PE Mode is enabled anywhere from 60-75% TPS in B3618. I've yet to see a tutorial on tuning PE mode. I'm just not putting the pieces together here. It seems as there's no tutorial that goes step by step through tuning a vehicle. I'm only finding pieces, and haven't got the whole process figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    I'm still not clear, lol. Remember, I'm a newbie at this.

I will be keeping the MAF. Bottom line, how do I tune the MAF and VE tables without a wideband O2? It appears to me that the wideband O2 is only used to ensure the results are correct. It doesn't appear to be used in the calculations at all.

On another note, I'm getting all 0.00 values in the VE_Table map, and 0.0 and an occasional 0.1 in the LTFTBEN map. What would cause this? I thought maybe I had some metric/imperial values mismatched, but they are not.
    It is O.K. We have all been 'newbies', or at newbies in some area of tuning..

You are utilizing the narrowbands for most of the calculations. In math that is called a 'known' factor. Though you don't see the ~14.7 AFR being calculated, it is indeed being used. You are calculating a correction to it. The wideband AFR must match up with each of the MAF Frequencies when you go heavy on the throttle. If you are too lean or rich the match-up between the MAF and your AFR absolutely effects the VE calculation!

The best advice I can give you at this time is just take it slowly. The Scan & Tool software along with BBL take some time to set-up. I guarantee you if you utilize the PIDS as exactly described in the Tutorial and log..it will all make sense. Just staring at the formula will drive you nuts. But, again the AFR is being utilized at every point in the calculation whether by the narrowband stoich value or by wideband.

I am not sure on your VE values. If you have something to post up it might make it easier to figure out..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; October 2nd, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    On this topic, I am trying to add the 3 required extra PIDs and when I open the scan tool it gives an error message that it can't find them and closes.

"Hint, Additional information about use and creation of calculated
    PID’s can be found in the EFILive Scan Tool help manual."

(Where?)

"format of this file is explained in the file itself. Use a text file editor to load the file and read the inline ments." (all I found there)

"Error code: ERR_CONFIG/92

C:\Users\User\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt(54): Units /(4.800)*{SAE.RPM}*{SAE.MAP.kPa})*{CALC.LTFTBEN}" not found. . "
    Boost, I agree the write-up in the Scan Tool is not real easy for beginners to follow. In all honesty, I had Joecar greatly assist me on my first CALC PIDS..from there it made sense. Obviously, all the correct PIDS must be selected, units generally metric, displacement value must be accurate. Do you have DYNAIRTMP as a valid PID?

Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    I see where PE Mode is enabled anywhere from 60-75% TPS in B3618. I've yet to see a tutorial on tuning PE mode. I'm just not putting the pieces together here. It seems as there's no tutorial that goes step by step through tuning a vehicle. I'm only finding pieces, and haven't got the whole process figured out.
    BLS, best to not get too frustrated. Believe me I said the same thing you are saying when I first started. It took 2-3 months to write up the CALC.VE Table and that barely covers 1% of all tuning.

There are a lot of differing vehicles, years, OS's..and not enough volunteers to write up areas of tuning. Check Joecar's signature..he has great links and summary notes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast