Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Working on my idle tune

I find it beneficial to make a rather significant change, to see that you're affecting what you aim to be, and then fine tune it from there. I think I'll start with giving B4304 a value of one in the higher temps. If that doesn't do it, I'll experiment with B4344.
    '01 ECSB 4x4, '04 6.0L LQ4 Shortblock, 243 Heads Milled .035 11:1 Compression, Pac 1218 Springs, Yank PT3200 Stall, Comp Cam 220/224, .581/.581, 112LSA, LS7 Lifters, TBSS Intake Manifold, Edelbrock 3864 90mm T-Body, Doug Thorley LT Tri-Y ceramic headers, Flowmaster 50 SUV, LS1 e-fans, Airaid MIT, Complete valve body build up, 4.30:1 Gears, 33/12.50-17 Tires

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

I have updated the LS1 Base Tune I recommend in the Idle Tutorial. There were a few updates on PE RPM, TF Decay in gear and P/N.

Its as simple as I can get it, but should have everything needed for a M6 Tune. When you get your Auto Tune nailed, perhaps we can use yours?..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; November 4th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Lifetime Member

- The Start up Airflow/Friction Airflow tables are used on Start up only. They are beneficial for initial cold start especially for large cammed cars with high static compression in stroker motors with the forged internals that are heavier than stock. The combination of those can require a substantial increase in start up airflow to get the car to idle correctly on cold start up. Each car is different, but I usually increase those even on small cammed car with a M6.

- The Afterstart Enrichment Table add fuel based on Coolant Temp using EQ ratio (not Lambda) so be careful when calculating the value into the final AFR equation. The Decay and Delay rates control how long the additional fuel stays active and the rate is decays. Typically you need less fuel on hot start up and need it to reduce quickly.

- Though not an exact science; "throttle blips" are a good test of the Follower airflow tables on a auto car equipped with a stall converter; especially big stalls. Because of the slippage from the big stall, it takes more TPS/rpms to move the car from idle to part throttle compared to a M6 car. When you let off the gas the rpms will drop pretty quickly (especially on bigger stalls) so you need the airflow cushion to catch it from stalling. That's one reason a idle that slightly hangs isn't that bad for a cammed A4 with a big stall.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
    -Though not an exact science; "throttle blips" are a good test of the Follower airflow tables on a auto car equipped with a stall converter; especially big stalls. Because of the slippage from the big stall, it takes more TPS/rpms to move the car from idle to part throttle compared to a M6 car. When you let off the gas the rpms will drop pretty quickly (especially on bigger stalls) so you need the airflow cushion to catch it from stalling. That's one reason a idle that slightly hangs isn't that bad for a cammed A4 with a big stall.
    You are so accurately describing what I've been dealing with. The last sentence, which I bolded, is what I have finally got. I've been hesitant to say it, but the last two days have looked like I've finally got a good tune. It has not stalled on me one time. I'm just tweaking the small details to my liking at this point. I'm not sure exactly what created the effect I have now, but it happened by going back to a lot of stock settings, and then blending in what I though I needed from Shawn's tune.
    '01 ECSB 4x4, '04 6.0L LQ4 Shortblock, 243 Heads Milled .035 11:1 Compression, Pac 1218 Springs, Yank PT3200 Stall, Comp Cam 220/224, .581/.581, 112LSA, LS7 Lifters, TBSS Intake Manifold, Edelbrock 3864 90mm T-Body, Doug Thorley LT Tri-Y ceramic headers, Flowmaster 50 SUV, LS1 e-fans, Airaid MIT, Complete valve body build up, 4.30:1 Gears, 33/12.50-17 Tires

Lifetime Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    You are so accurately describing what I've been dealing with. The last sentence, which I bolded, is what I have finally got. I've been hesitant to say it, but the last two days have looked like I've finally got a good tune. It has not stalled on me one time. I'm just tweaking the small details to my liking at this point. I'm not sure exactly what created the effect I have now, but it happened by going back to a lot of stock settings, and then blending in what I though I needed from Shawn's tune.
    Excellent. Sounds like you're getting it nailed down.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910