Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38/T42 4l65E (no ISS) TCC fix???

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by vette5797 View Post
    Thanks Taz, slow for the help. Yesterday I went ahead and changed c0611 to 1degree, reflashed and went for a drive with the v2 scanning. Misfires stayed at 0 but after about ten minutes the TCC quit again. So I think that rules out misfires as the cause. I did find out though that by just shutting off the car and starting back up that the TCC will work again for a short while, even though the p0741 is current. Is there anyplace I can find the list of parameters that set P0741 on a 2008 era 4l65E. I've googled my butt off but can't find much specific to the 4l65e. Also, I don't know how this trans compares to the aforementioned 4l70 or 4t70 transmissions.
    Regarding the tunes, this project started over two years ago right when the LS3 became available over the counter from GM. The GMPP complete LS3 package still wasn't available yet so I ended up with the long block version and had to purchase separately the intake,rails,injectors,coils etc. The LS3 intake wasn't available, so the Holden version with diffrent MAP sensor was used. I tell you this so you'll understand why the MAP is scaled and other mods. My original tuner started with the 2008 Silverado ECM and TCM tunes, apparently one of the only ones available at the time that used E38 and T42. Later, I think he swapped in and modified the Corvette LS3 tune for the ECM. These (hopefully I've uploaded them properly) are the tunes in the car today. Again, any help is greatly appreciated. Gary
    Taz, also agree regarding the misfire detection and plan on changing that back on next flash since it didn't help cure the problem anyway.
    This post jogged my memory...the OS & cal you are using from the Vette is an A6 friendly cal. If you want to use that OS, then to check whether this issue is being caused by the ECM's preference to see an A6 you could drop a Yukon 5.3 calibration in. Otherwise try a process of elimination and turn the TCM fault behaviour settings off.

Lifetime Member

Hello Gary,

Thanks for posting the tune files. Both the ECM and TCM tunes are from a 2008 Yukon 4 x 2 with a 5.3L (LY5) engine and a 4L60E / 4L65E / 4L70E type transmission. Given Ian’s (gmh308) comments, this tune should (hopefully) lend itself to your application.

I did not make any changes to the engine tune (ECM). In the TCM (trans) tune I changed the values in D7014 and D7015 - which may not make any difference.

Everything else generally looks OK. Trying to think “outside of the box” - do you have a brake switch wired into the harness ?

My experience is primarily Gen III swaps - this is a Gen IV, so it’s a little outside of my area of expertise. The Gen III PCM needs to see voltage from the brake switch when the brakes are NOT applied, and conversely no voltage when the brakes are applied - to appropriately manipulate TCC function.

Something to check … not sure if this applies to a Gen IV. I renamed the file to avoid confusion – posted below.

Regards,
    Taz

Attachment 9194

Lifetime Member

Cool. If the Yukon ECM file sees the throttle going into limp mode (which it may depending on the base calibration in the ECM), PM me, may be able to get my hands on one that wont.

Thumbs up

Taz, Ian , thanks again for your help on this issue.

Taz- yes I do have a brake switch and I believe it's hooked up as you said. I also have a similar gen III car and I believe we wired the brake switch the same as that car. I checked it the other day. It has a purple wire in and out. Closed when brake off, open when brake on.

I'm real new to all this stuff, but did a short log the other day. This is after the TCC had quit and p0741 was current. I pulled over and shut the car off and restarted it, then started the log. Two things on the log have my concern. The first is that I don't see any changes to the brake pedal parameters even though I know I pressed the brake a few times in this short run. The second thing, which I think is the smoking gun, is the TCCE test parameters. The TCCEP "short to power test" goes from Failed to Unknown to Failed a few times during the run ( note frames 815, 1415-1419, 1609-1615, then the TCC quits immediately after it goes Failed again (2055), noted by the PWM going to 0 and then the TCC remains off till car is restarted. I don't think these test Failures are related to the brake since I was actually accellerating slightly when I felt the TCC kick off.

Today, I'm going to disconnect the brake switch and see if that affects anything. Then I may try doing some more logs.

Ian- which behavior settings would you change? Almost all of them appear to be off now.

Anybody know a likely culprit for a short to power???

Thanks again guys, I greatly appreciate you sticking with me. Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guys, pulled the two purple wires from the brake switch, cleared DTC's, and went for a drive. Thought the car would die when I put it in gear or come to a stop, but it appeared to drive and stop no different than with the brake swich connected up. Scanning through the TCCE parameters I noticed that the TCCEP parameter was now going between indeterm and passed. Never showed passed before. Yay, thought I found the cure, then a couple miles later down the road the TCC quit again. Just scanning, not logging, but the TCCEP was not showing failed as it did before. Brought back to the garage. Checked DTC's and P0741 present as expected. Read out the switch and it was like I thought, normally closed, open when brake pedal pushed. Checked the two purples to ground, no cont. Checked voltage with ign off- zero on both. Turned ignition on , one purple reads battery voltage 12.6 , other read 9.6 volts. I'm going to have to get behind some panels to trace the wires. Obviously one side is Ign pwr. The other I believe is the brake switch leads of the ECM (pin 9) and the TCM (pin ?) connected together. I'll go verify this, but does anybody know for sure that this would be the correct connections? Also, does 9.6 volts make sense?? My FAST Perfect Circuit engine harness data shows pin 9 to go to the brake switch, but doesn't say what should be on the other side of the switch. I never got a data sheet for the FAST trans harness (I'll call them and see if the have one).
    I would think that this has to be the problem area. Any suggestions or inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Gary

Lifetime Member

Hello Gary,

Regarding the TCC brake switch …

As stated previously, my experience is primarily Gen III swaps - so the following comments are Gen III based - you will have to confirm the appropriate Gen IV circuits / wiring diagrams.

The Gen III PCM needs to see voltage from the brake switch when the brakes are NOT applied and conversely no voltage when the brakes are applied - to appropriately manipulate TCC function.

A 12 volt 10 amp power source from the vehicle is routed to one side of a “normally closed” switch on the brake pedal. The other side of this switch is wired to the PCM (often C1 pin 33 - purple wire). The PCM grounds this circuit.

If this circuit is not connected (or malfunctioning) DTC P0719 is set (no MIL) and the TCC will remain “off” (not locked).

If this circuit is connected to a constant power source (no brake switch to intermittently interrupt the power) DTC P0724 is set (no MIL) and the TCC will remain “off” (not locked).

If the PCM detects high TCC slip when the TCC is commanded “on” (locked) then DTC P0741 is set - in other words the TCC is slipping (not locked) when it is supposed to be locked.

You mentioned that you checked both wires on either side of your brake switch, and one had 12.6 volts and the other had 9.6 volts. If the Gen IV is similar to the Gen III in this regard, then one wire should have 12 volts (fuse panel side) and the other should have zero volts (ground - PCM side).

Guessing that your TCC is not locking - probably from not receiving the appropriate 12 volt input.

Regards,
    Taz

I know this an old post/thread ,but I am having the same exact trouble with my 2007 Trailblazer SS started intermittently just maybe 1 time every 3 months and now after a converter swap it is just like Gary's situation locks fine then after a short period of driving stops locking and throws code PO741, I also have got code P0700 one time with PO741 it and the very first time this happened it blew a fuse and ever since it just acts exactly like Gary's. Did this ever get fixed for Gary ?

Lifetime Member

For now, post your ECM & TCM tunes. If these check out, would then need a log of what is happening.

Regards,
    Taz

Guys, It's been a long time since I've been to this forum or even touched my EFI Live and my memory is very poor. Back then someone suggested to change P0741 to not reported. The theory was that if it's set to reporting it does a test. If it fails the test, then it locks the TCC out. When set to not reported then it doesn't do the test. I did this and have not had any problem with the TCC since. Of course, now if there is a problem I won't have a MIL or code set, but I would feel the problem (TCC unlocking) anyway. Since everything is brand new from GM I feel confident that everything is mechanically sound, and that the solution to this problem is just a glitch that had to be done when mating parts that weren't designed to be together. BadSS, hope this helps you. Taz, thanks again for all your help years ago. Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12