Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with understanding alignment of 4x cam and 58x crank reluctor wheels and sensor

Default Help with understanding alignment of 4x cam and 58x crank reluctor wheels and sensor

Sooo, I am working on gathering information on how to run a 58x setup on a non-LS motor. I need a better understanding on how it triggers, how to set the alignment (orientation based on crank position) TDC? Will a CASE re-learn figure it out on its own?

How about the 4x CPS? how is that set in relation to the cam(s).

In this case, I am working with a DOHC I6 and will utilize the LL8 E67 ECM/OS.

Any help will be great!
    Thanks,
    David
    '94 Lexus SC300 LY2 4.8, LS6 cam/springs, E38, LS3 MAF, LS2 intake, 88mm TB, 2bar MAP, T42/4L80e, mpt70
    www.terratraction.com/gallery

Hi David,

I don't have a waveform showing the relationship between the 58x/4x signals... when I find one I'll post it here.

The CASE relearn will not sync them up, the CASE relearn merely configures the misfire detection algorithm.

Lifetime Member

As Joe mentions, CASE learn wont do anything for you, it is simply to make misfire detection more accurate. Engine will normally run without it, and in a conversion an ECM generally wont CASE learn as it is missing signals like hand brake from the body.

If you are using an LL8 calibration, is your engine not an LL8 DOHC I6? Does it already have a 58X crank? Does it have VVT?

Lifetime Member

Ian, he is trying to do an E67 swap using an LL8 OS on (I forget what engine, toyota?). David is trying to figure out where he needs to put the 58x crank and 4x cam reluctors so the ECM can properly control his non-GM engine.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I am weighing out my options for controlling Toyota's 2JZ for my SC300. I am trying to understand the proper orientation/index of each of the trigger/reluctor wheels. Should be a piece of cake once that is figured out.

As Erik mentioned, I plan to utilize the LL8 E67 OS - its a perfect match.

I have many, many... hours of turning with EFILive. The last thing is want is to deal with some crappy piggyback controller or spend 2K on a standalone. I'm spoiled.

I am not having any luck finding any info regarding the position of the trigger wheels. Everyone suggests... "buy this tool" to align it. I wish!

Thanks,
    David
    '94 Lexus SC300 LY2 4.8, LS6 cam/springs, E38, LS3 MAF, LS2 intake, 88mm TB, 2bar MAP, T42/4L80e, mpt70

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tunedportcj5 View Post
    I am not having any luck finding any info regarding the position of the trigger wheels. Everyone suggests... "buy this tool" to align it. I wish!

Thanks,
    David
    Have never seen anything published on this but I have looked at it on cranks when swapping reluctor wheels...just cant recall the relative positioning of the indexing to #1 TDC right now. Will take a look at a crank early next week. And yes the 4X cam gear phasing is quite critical for initial start up. I have some info somewhere on that...will just need to find it.

Is the 2JZ a VVT engine? If so will you run locked cams and simply get a cam reluctor machined up to run on one cam? Same for the crank? Custom wheel or do they already run a 58X/60 - 2 reluctor?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    Have never seen anything published on this but I have looked at it on cranks when swapping reluctor wheels...just cant recall the relative positioning of the indexing to #1 TDC right now. Will take a look at a crank early next week. And yes the 4X cam gear phasing is quite critical for initial start up. I have some info somewhere on that...will just need to find it.

Is the 2JZ a VVT engine? If so will you run locked cams and simply get a cam reluctor machined up to run on one cam? Same for the crank? Custom wheel or do they already run a 58X/60 - 2 reluctor?
    If the 2JZ runs exhaust VVT and the sensor can be modified, the E67 can control it (the LL8 has exhaust VVT).

I really think this is going to be a sweet swap once you get it done!
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Only the newer 2JZs have VVT - not mine. I have recently found a lot of information regarding Supra owners running stand-alone systems and upgrading to a 60-2 reluctor. I feel confident I have the reluctor/crank sensor figured out.... except for the reluctor orientation. There are guides on alignment but how do I dertermine if it will work for a GM setup?

As far as the cam sensor goes.. Since I have a 2JZGE (non factory turbo) - it uses a distributor. I am thinking I can source a custom 4x reluctor from eficonnection and fab up a cap/sensor mount....?

Thoughts?

Also... its tough sourcing a e67 LL8 engine harness... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    David

Lifetime Member

The GM 58X reluctor commences the indexing notch at 30 deg ATDC on #1 cylinder. You could call GMPP and check with them too. Or confirm with EFI Connection if you are buying a 4X dist reluctor from them.

Lifetime Member

For an E67 LL8 harness, you're probably going to have to buy a complete harness off a wrecked truck. The E67s were only used for the last 2 years of production so there arent a lot of wrecked ones yet.

Ian hopefully has you pointed in the right direction, I honestly do not know about the crank/cam reluctor orientation.
    ~Erik~

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast