Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP Programming issue

Lifetime Member

Do you know absolutely that you have the right model year TCM for the trans? Flashing in an earlier OS to a '10 TCM and vice versa can cause terminal problems...

Normally with TIS the ability exists to program a TCM without ECM attached. The relevant OS is copied to the tech II based on punched in VIN and then the TCM flashed standalone.

We're using an '08 TCM being flashed with an '08 VIN. I have no clue exactly what his procedure is. I don't know how he can program the TCM in the vehicle without the ECM due to the harness layout.
    Trailblazer "RS" 5.3L 6L80 4x4 & '07 TBSS LS2 6L90 AWD

He can remove the ECM, jumper the hi speed LAN terminals back to each other and attempt to program with the ECM out of the loop. The concern will likely be the BCM though, it also stores the VIN and may inhibit communication between the ECM and TCM.
    AL
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Ahhh. I think we've determined the last hurdle. Unfortunately, the original VIN that worked and that was put into the old TCM was not recorded before we fried the TCM. So we're stumbling around with various VIN's and finding out that some VINs Calibration ID's are very picky.

At this point I'm happy to have Limp Mode back and my PRNDL finally working. I believe at this point the issue seems to be one main problem. We used an '08 TCM VIN Cal ID with an '07 ECM. I know GM made subtle, yet significant changes to there '08-'10 calibrations to tighten down on various aftermarket tuning. So, not knowing where these changes occurred during production runs and/or which vehicles were affected, I believe it would be best to go back to an '07 TCM VIN Cal ID...when programs were less fussy.

They won't have a chance to revisit it until Wed/Thurs.

Sounds like you're having too much fun...

Thumbs up

oh yeah!!! lol The only reason I push through and justify it all is because I know it will save those who follow with their own unique projects sooooooooo much money and hassle later.

Lifetime Member

OK glad you're at least making headway on tracking it down. This is in your 5.3 right? Any way you could switch to an 07 T43 OS or switch your ECM to an 08?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

What OS are you running in the TCM?

Yup, it's the 5.3L. I thought about upping the '07 ECM OS to an '08, but then I'd have to change the VIN to an '08 and then I remembered that there were changes each model year 06-08 regarding how the ECM monitored and controlled the fan clutch. That would require the patch to keep the MIL from coming on. Plus, I don't want to 'cheat'. I'd rather find a solution that allows the ECM parameters to remain stock and match the vehicle's original specs. You change one thing here and sooner or later you'll find something else changed over there, ya know?

The TCM is currently running a 24239353 OS. It's not only triggering the check engine MIL, but also the powertrain/transfer case MIL. I'm pretty confident this is the problem and a result of GM making a more stringent security checking feature in the program...via checksums, etc.

Lifetime Member

Ok so you are running the generic '07 TCM OS. What is the ECM OS? And what are the calibrations of each from? If you are running the stock TB 4x4 ECM cal, then it sounds like it is missing transfer case controller messages.

Might help if you outline your setup in a little more detail .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast