Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man (PCM) Down

update:

dealer said ECM is dead, they want $400 for a used and $800 for new. Will be buying one from another source. I will keep the "dead" ECM and see what I can do on the bench with it.
    Making tires smoke since 1994
    Grand Junction CO

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    update:

dealer said ECM is dead, they want $400 for a used and $800 for new. Will be buying one from another source. I will keep the "dead" ECM and see what I can do on the bench with it.
    Interesting, havent heard of EFILive bricking any P10s before. Doesnt mean is hasnt happened, but no one has complained about it. Heck, eBay sells P10s for CHEAP, I grabbed one from a wrecked 03 Voy for $40 shipped I think.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Well I think the dealer may not be completely up to speed with type of issues. I dont believe the PCM is a brick. Come to find out the TB has remote start. This gets more interesting by the day. Not sure if the remote start would cause this, like I said earlier never had trouble before.

Ebay P10 here I come.
    Making tires smoke since 1994
    Grand Junction CO

Lifetime Member

Those PCMs go for $40 to $60 at my local auto recycler ... don't know if prices are different in your area ... saves the wait and the eBay shipping !

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Wow, that's actually kind of expensive. I pay about $100 shipped for the LS1 PCMs from S10s, but they come with with the engine and charging system wiring harness.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Lifetime Member

I was just thinking... Have you tried making a bench harness to rule out the possibility of something in the vehicle affecting the flashing? Did you save a log of when you tried to flash the PCM the first time?
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

48 LB injectors
    T70 turbo.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well I think the dealer may not be completely up to speed with type of issues. I dont believe the PCM is a brick. Come to find out the TB has remote start. This gets more interesting by the day. Not sure if the remote start would cause this, like I said earlier never had trouble before.

Ebay P10 here I come.
    If it has remote start, remove/pull the fuses for the bypass and the main brain unit. They try it again, I dont have an issue with my remote start on my 02 but that 04 has one that with the aftermarket stereo wreaks havoc when trying to flash.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Looks like it is not just you:
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....9-Dead-p10-pcm!!!
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

48 LB injectors
    T70 turbo.

Ok, this whole idea of needing to do a full flash to recover from a failed cal flash isn't justified, it's going to achieve nothing more than making you wait longer.

I just test flashed two P10's here on the bench (because we don't have access to a Trailblazer).
    I used two different V2's with firmware v2.7.2 and 2.6.41, V7 software v7.5.6b136.
    The results are everything read and re-flashed fine. I stopped the reflash part way to simulate a failed flash and the recovery worked fine.

If your P10 failed during the flash then you don't need another PCM, my experience is too many GM dealers don't understand how to make TIS do what they want so they just give up and say you need a new PCM.

When you say it gets to 16K and stops that sounds like a classic case of something on the data bus interrupting the flash process. Though normally this would also cause problems on a read too.
    I am not sure what further tests I can do here so simulate your problem to come to a resolution when I can't duplicate the issue. Have you added any aftermarket audio equipment that is wired on to the databus? iPod adaptors and XM radio adaptors are notorious for causing such problems if they also monitor the vehicle data bus.

I don't think you need a new PCM, but if for some reason you are going to buy one you shouldn't need to pay more than about $50 - $60. Make sure you get the right year model PCM too.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Big D,

Look at post #4 of this thread: showthread.php?14669-Dead-p10-pcm!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast