Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: speed sensor

Default speed sensor

hello everyone im new to the tuning world and im getting my but kicked and any help would be much appreciated my first and main issue is i have an 84 chevy 4x4 with a pulse generator and cant figure out how to get the speed signal accurate

Lifetime Member

Hello jhanner,

A little more information would be helpful in trying to assist you. What engine & transmission are you using ? If possible, post your current tune.

“Pulse generator” – from Dakota Digital, JTR, or who ? Set to 4K, 8K, or how many pulses ? Mounted on the transmission, transfer case, drive shaft, or where ?

Is the pulse generator wired directly to the PCMs VSS input ? Or the instrument cluster / speedometer ?

Regards,
    Taz

Sorry about the lack of info i installed a 5.3 with a 4l60e and a 208 transfer case the sensor is from abbott enterprise and its connected to the speedometer gear on the output of the transfer case through the speedometer cable and i believe its an 8k pulse. im getting a reading but its showing way too low and its not shifting properly. ill try to post the tune as soon as i can figure out how. thanks for any help

Lifetime Member

This is from one of Joecar’s posts …

How to attach files:

Go Advanced -> Manage Attachments -> Add Files -> Select Files select the file(s) you want to upload, Open Upload Files -> Done

Regards,
    Taz

Did this transfer case come with the 1984 truck or the 5.3 combination?
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

it came with the truck and it uses a gear to run the cable

this is the best ive gotten it the speed reading is close to actual speed and it shifts now but you have to back off the throttle for it to shift and any increase in in throttle will make it down shift im also having issues with it idling it stall out all the time
    thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

OK .. just so I’m clear … you’re running the vehicle speedometer via cable from the transfer case – which also triggers the 8K pulse ?

Is the cable speedometer mechanical calibration reasonably accurate (i.e. correct drive & driven speedometer gears - for tire diameter and differential ratio) such the speedometer readout in the dash is close to actual vehicle speed ?

The mechanical speedometer is 1000 revolutions per mile (OEM) ? This triggers 8000 pulses per mile ?

What is your tire size and manufacturer ? What differential ratio is in the truck ?

Also, you have a 5.3 L engine – your tune is a 2002 OS with a 2001 Camaro VIN – cylinder volume is still 5.7 L – hasn’t been reset to 5.3L – didn’t look much deeper into the tune than that.

Is the 5.3 L stock ? Are you using a Camaro wiring harness ?

If the engine is stock, I have a 2002 5.3 L 4L60E 4 x 4 tune that you’re welcome to – might make tuning a little easier.

My apologies for all of the questions – a lot a mixing and matching in your setup !

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; October 24th, 2010 at 12:37 PM.

ok ill start from the beginning and again i greatly appreciate all of your help. i bought an 02 4x4 with 4.8 that rolled over. i had a core 5.3 and rebuilt it, i raised the compression a little and some minor port work and a 224 on a 112 cam. i completely rebuilt the transmission and it has a transgo shift kit and a 2500 stall. i used the computer and wiring harness from the 4.8 and just i used the 02 camaro os from holden crazy because it was the closest thing to my mods i could find. ok so since the my front end uses a passenger side drop transfer case i had to use the 208 which came with the cable drive speedometer so i used the pulse generator to get my signal and keep my speedometer cable. the speedometer in the truck is off by 10 mph and i am unsure of the pulses that it produces but the pulse generator produces an 8k signal. the tire size is a measured 38 inches and the gear ratio is 5.13. i would be glad to give your tune a shot cause this thing runs like crap, thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast