Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Calc VE QC check and questions

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

You could always try a very short run with no Air Filter if you wanted to test.

I use the Holley Power Shot 'oiled' Air Filter with the SLP Lid. I like that fit. Personally, I just stick a new one in their every other oil change. Call it overkill, but I don't trust my technique in re-oiling. I clean the MAF every 2-3 months.

Brad..Upon close examination of your Tune & Log, it looks like even though your LTFTBENS average +/- '0', the delta between Max and Min indicates you are positive most of the time. So, here it was I did. In the attached Test Tune (yours altered), I added +7.5% to the entire MAF Table (B5001). That should not only keep you in negative Fuel Trims, but should also solve your Commanded vs Actual AFR in PE Mode. You might average ~ -3 to -5 % LTFT's, but really thats O.K.

I also adjusted your VE Table (rough hand-smooth). You may find after running the new MAF Table, that your VE Table will come more into line.

Thats my best take on it. Keep checking for any intake/exhaust leak..especially near the MAF. But, you can always give the Test..a Test..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; November 14th, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typos..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Thanks Shawn I will give the tune a try and see what happens!

Since you brought up intake leaks, could this be caused by a bad seal somewhere on the intake manifold? When I put it on I tried to check as best I could using the old WD-40 trick but I couldn't ever depict an increase in rpms when I did that. I've never noticed the car running rough but then again my only experience with an intake leak is with a carbed application, and the car ran noticeable rough/didn't want to go.

I had a small exhaust leak before the WBO2 but I've since made some adjustments and I think I've got it sealed up tight now. I'm not sure about the other side, but I doubt that could effect the O2 reading since it's on the other bank (and if there is one it's small).

Thanks again Shawn for you help and looking at/modding the tune!

Brad
    2000 WS6 T/A White M6, Mods: SLP Lid, Pro 5.0, LS7 clutch, QTP headers, LS6 intake, UMI: adj TA, BMR: LCA, STB, SFC, and adj PB. Best ET of 13.7 @ 107mph.

After being out of town for a week or so, I finally got to make another run. I cleaned the MAF and filter and used the test tune that Shawn provided. I'm afraid my run may be for not as I forgot to reset the LTFT's before I did the run. By chance are those reset when you flash the ECU with a new tune? At any rate here it is... not much change other than it appears to be running richer then before.

Thanks again for all the help on this!

Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 WS6 T/A White M6, Mods: SLP Lid, Pro 5.0, LS7 clutch, QTP headers, LS6 intake, UMI: adj TA, BMR: LCA, STB, SFC, and adj PB. Best ET of 13.7 @ 107mph.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Brad:

Not too bad.

Generally I keep my LTFTBENS averaging about -2 %, but yours are generally within range. Its up to you whether you want to tweak the entire MAF curve as described in the Tutorial, or leave the MAF 'slope' as is.

As far as the VE, you have gone about as far as you can with closed-loop. You can estimate at the higher RPM's and MAP..just in case your MAF would ever fail at WOT.

I would just read up on PE Mode and WOT AFR tuning. You can select a Calculated Pid for your AFRBENS, and then apply that in the upper ranges of your MAF curve. Generally you are richer and closer to your Commanded AFR in PE Mode, but still look slightly lean at points.

Overall, pretty good.

Edit: The LTFT's 'refresh' when you make a big change as we did on your MAF curve. Even though they do not 'reset' automatically when you flash in a new tune, your MAF Calibration Table looks a lot better than before..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; November 28th, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional Information..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Cool, thanks for all the your help with the tune Shawn! I will definitely be doing a lot more reading on the forums.

Brad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345