Thread: 06 E67 compatibility with 08 TBSS OS?

Lifetime Member

Default 06 E67 compatibility with 08 TBSS OS?

Probably an easy question, but Im looking to get another E67 for my 08 TBSS and have access to a few 06 E67s. Now my original spare E67 came with an 07 TBSS OS that I full flashed to work with my SS, if the E67 comes off an Impala or CTS will I have an issue full flashing my 08 OS into it? More importantly, Ive heard rumors that full flashing a truck OS into a car ECM using EFILive doesnt work...am I wrong here (hope so, I dont have TIS/SPS access).

Thanks guys!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Regarding E38 / E67 ECMs - EFILive doesn’t write the entire ECM OS - even if you select the write “OS and calibration” function. The ECM requires a compatible initial OS prior to making tuning changes with EFILive.

The following is an excerpt from EFI Connection’s website …..

GM Calibration Programming Services

EFI Connection does offer GM calibration services (also known as TIS2WEB or TIS-SPS). These calibration services are also offered by your local GM service shop, with the exception that your local GM service shop will not flash or reflash a controller removed from the vehicle it was originally used with. You may choose or require this service for any of the following reasons...
    • You purchased a brand new ECU (PCM, ECM, or TCM) and need a base calibration for your application.
    • You want the latest GM calibration in your ECU to address any "bug fixes" before your tuner begins custom calibration work.
    • The ECU you have was removed from a used vehicle and needs a base calibration for the vehicle/engine type you are working with.
    • New Gen IV ECMs (E40, E38, and E67), regardless of the vehicle type you specified at the part department counter, do not come from GM with a specific calibration and will require a base GM calibration for the vehicle/engine type you are working with.
    • In other words, you can order a brand new E40 for a 2005 GTO, perform a full flash with a 2005 GTO calibration and the electronic throttle will not work.
    • Used Gen IV ECMs (E40, E38, and E67) can be pulled from non-V8 vehicles, but require a base GM calibration for the vehicle/engine type you are working with. A "full flash" with EFILive, HP Tuners, etc. will not replace all calibration segments. In other words, you can pull a used E38 from a 2008 V6 Impala, perform a full flash with a 2008 Corvette calibration, and electronic throttle will not work.
    If you have a new or used Gen IV ECU (E40, E38, or E67), you will probably need a fresh GM flash that suits your application.
    • You will need to provide us the vehicle year, type, engine size, and VIN that is suitable for your application.

Pretty much sums up the process ….

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Thats what I thought, its a PITA for hobbyists doing this on the weekend though for sure. Im not sure but I think Paul or Ross mentioned part of the reason EFILive cant do it is because some critical parts would be erased (serial number for licensing, etc).

I was going to be able to grab a few E67s with Impala cals for like $25 each shipped, Im broke as heck right now as my summer $$ has dried up being at school. Too bad the dealer cant full flash them for a 12pk...I need a friend who works for a dealer I guess!
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Lifetime Member

Think EFI Connection charges $50 to do the programming ... not a bad deal !

Regards,
    Taz

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Think EFI Connection charges $50 to do the programming ... not a bad deal !

Regards,
    Taz
    Yep they do, it is a good deal! Ill just buy another T42 and play with that instead, want to put a car OS and get the TCC from unlocking when you lift the throttle. Dont actually need another E67, but for $25 I was going to pick up a spare.
    ~Erik~