Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie... what to get. twin turbo ls build.

Quote Originally Posted by jks67ss396 View Post

what i would like to know is who in So Cal do i buy this from that knows turbo tunes? just in case i have questions...

thanks!!!
    I'm not sure... a vendor will chime in.

Im planning to run a beefed up version of my TKO 5 speed (manual, and mechanical linkage)

when i get my ecm back, ill get the codes for you guys to see if i can use a van tune with cable...

within the COS, how would i flip over from MAF to SD?

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    In SD if you correctly tune the VE table(s) using a wideband then MPG will not suffer... in OLSD you have the opportunity to set cruising AFR's leaner, giving you improved MPG.

Some points:
    - many people have observed the same HP/TQ between running with SD or MAF.
    - some people have observed the smaller diameter MAF's may impose a small airflow restriction (due to the airfoil).
    - some of the earlier [LS1 ] PCM's limit the MAF airflow values to 512 g/s.
    - if using MAF, you will still need VE corrected (since PCM falls to VE during transients throttle).
    - running in SD is a failover/error mode, it alters the operation of some other things like adaptive spark/knock (unless you run a COS) and transmission operation.

Which transmission will you run...?

It will run in SD if any one of these are true:
    - you physically don't have a MAF connected,
    - set the MAF sanity/failure tests to fail immediately (C2901/C2902).
    [ either of those cause the PCM to throw a MAF DTC which then causes the PCM to run in SD mode ]

Have you downloaded/installed the software to play with it (it lets you view/edit calibration files, see www.holdencrazy.com for files).

Lifetime Member

The sluggish throttle opening you're talking about is the Torque Management system GM implemented. Reduce the torque reduction in the engine and trans sections and the throttle is much more responsive.

It doesnt work like that in GM PCMs, you cant simple set a table to command a certain AFR and have everything work. You need to do the AutoVE tutorial (yes its free, just need a GM PCM and a wideband) so that the PCM knows how much air the engine can get at a certain load point then with the proper injector information it can command the proper pulse width to get the AFR you want.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks!

So where is the AFR information in EFILive then? Surely, if there isnt a table of AFR for map vs rpm, then theres gotta be somewhere that i can specify that AFR vs load on engine..... or is that behind closed doors and you need this AutoVE thing to manipulate a host of plots and parameters to get you what you want?

If i need the engine to be running to gather information to feed into AutoVE, how will i know that what the ecm has in the calibration currently wont blow up the engine while im gathering data to then feed back to the ecm? gotta havea target AFR somewhere!!!????

thanks

In the COS files, table B3647 gives open loop AFR for MAP vs RPM... do you want to see a file...?

Prior to doing AutoVE, you have to guestimate what the new VE would be; also you will set the OL AFR and PE AFR richer to avoid going lean at high load.

During AutoVE you will then do a pass upto 4000 rpm (say), apply the throttle transient filter, and observe the trend, extrapolate the observed trend; then you do a few more passes each time observing the correction to see if you're on track; you will eventually do a few WOT sweeps to correct the upper parts of the VE table.

Dyno time is very handy for doing this with major mods.

A wideband is required.

thanks Joe!

that makes sense. if you have a COS file that has the B3647 table, yes, that would help a lot!

from your first post, it seems like EFI Live CAN do real time logging/display, right?

i do have the widebands... do you know which sensors are supported? Sounds like i need to graft in a special connector to the truck harness for a WB O2 that was never there....

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jks67ss396 View Post
    that makes sense. if you have a COS file that has the B3647 table, yes, that would help a lot!
    There are COS's only for certain OS's... see the table on page 4 of this document: COS tutorial

from your first post, it seems like EFI Live CAN do real time logging/display, right?
    Yes, real time logging/display in the software scantool passthru mode and in V2 BBL/standalone mode... the LS1 PCM allows itself to be logged as fast as 10 samples/second per pid channel for upto 24 pid channels (some pids use 2 channels).

i do have the widebands... do you know which sensors are supported? Sounds like i need to graft in a special connector to the truck harness for a WB O2 that was never there....
    thanks
    V2 has serial comms support for these widebands: supported widebands
    You need the following:
    - power/ground to the wideband,
    - serial comms null modem cable from wideband to V2.

The wideband serial AFR/lambda is an "external" pid... V2 reads the AFR/lambda/eqratio from the wideband via the serial comms cable.
    Last edited by joecar; November 22nd, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

so when you say serial port to WB.. you mean serial port to wideband controller ... not to the sensor itself? My FJO WB controller has the capability to output serial data. so thats where the EFI Live would hook to?

Also, can you attach a COS that has that AFR vs mpa vs rpm table?

thanks

Yes, correct... the term "wideband" is being used as shorthand for "wideband controller" (to which the actual wideband sensor plugs into)...

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast