Thread: need opinions on tuning!

Default need opinions on tuning!

I have a 04 tahoe with the 5.3L flex fuel motor. everything is stock. i was wondering if it would be worth it to put efi live on it and tune it? all im wanting to do with it is gain mpg. and opinions would be much appreciated.

thanks
    clayton

Lifetime Member

Hello Clayton,

If your 2004 5.3 L Tahoe has the L59 (VIN “Z”) flex fuel engine it probably uses OS 12587603. If so, you have many tuning options available, including enabling the Lean Cruise functionality – to promote enhanced fuel mileage.

Regards,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; November 21st, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

yes that is correct. so i guess now is it something easy to tune, and if so where should i start. my brother in law has it and is getting to be pretty good with it, but he uses it on the duramax LMM, and what kind of gains should i expect out of it(if you can answer that).

Thanks
    clayton

Lifetime Member

What “gains” to expect is a bit of a crystal ball type question - depends on your vehicle, modifications, driving pattern, and to a lesser degree the climate where you live - southern USA versus northern Canada.

There is little power increase to be had by tuning a completely stock vehicle. However, tuning will augment bolt onto upgrades - like a cold air intake or CAT back exhaust system.

You may realize a 1 to 3 MPG increase with tuning - again that’s a very subjective question.

Where to begin ? Given that your brother in law has EFILive, it would only cost you a license fee to tune your vehicle.

I would recommend reading the Tune Tool and Scan Tool user manuals, as well as applicable Tutorials - these were probably downloaded to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc - there should be a about a dozen *.pdf files. This will help you fully understand the scope of the software.

Regards,
    Taz

thanks taz, much appreciated .

clayont