Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM's union recovering after stock sale....

Lifetime Member

Im with Chevy366, my personal belief is the UAW is antiquated but we're not going to get rid of it anytime soon Im afraid. Why do you think Toyota, BMW, and VW/Audi have all built their plants in the south or on the southern east coast? No unions there, they can pay them the $49 (or whatever it is) and still make a profit while giving those people a stable job that pays well and has benefits (albeit not as good as the UAWs).

Anything that has to terrorize families to get someone to join should be shut down, this isnt the early 1900s anymore people.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

My experience with the UAW:

my wife's 2002 Grand Am GT (bought new by her) is literally falling apart piece-by-piece... that doesn't really miff me too much...

but this does: on the rear quarter window is a sticker proclaiming "Proudly Assembled by UAW Labor"

Let me say I like GM products and have no qualm with GM , just the UAW .
    Dang mr.prick you got me going .
    I was reared in a Union area , GM plant (Arlington #276) , General Dynamics (Lockheed Martin now) .
    Thanks for reading my rants .
    One day the UAW will be gone and I hope that when people are named that help it happen I am one of them .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

I'm not saying I'd rather tune a Ford though.

Has anyone here had Tim Tams?

These things are good.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Where do you get these amazing numbers??

It's very troubling to see these statements and I work for one of the companies you mention - one that makes those things that protects your freedom. Big businesses, colleges, Hollywood and most of government has promoted union hatred since its inception. They have used propaganda much like this to gather contempt for at least three generations. Every dictator who has ever lived would never tolerated a labor union. Do you really think big businesses would offer anything close to a fair wage or to self impose factory and mining safety regulations without something to resist them from doing otherwise?

I currently belong to the UAW and have for nearly 35 years. I'm a conservative Christian, I love my country, pay taxes and contribute to charities and the local economy. I make $20 per hour (no longer enough to buy a home in a safe neighborhood, purchase a new car - ever - and certainly nothing there to send kids to college). I am categorized as skilled labor and have strict work rules with performance accountability while enduring this type of contempt from the people I serve. Indeed this is an extremely offensive string of posts against working class citizens, veterans and those who have in many ways contributed to a free nation! There was a time in our history when enterprising people created jobs and were humble enough to realize they were put on this earth to help fellow human beings and their families. I do not comprehend this mentality in those that cannot see why a business should exist for the sake of the common people rather than amassing more money for those who are already very wealthy.

joecar, your wife's Grand Am GT may not be falling apart because of lazy, over privileged UAW members. It could be from a company management policy bent on trying to make something cheaper / faster in order to sell it for a better profit.... Please don't blame the cheap material and rush job tactics on the lower class people who are increasingly videoed and scrutinized. Even if the worker is lazy, they will not get away with it for very long. Companies pay a lot of money to consultants and supervisors to make sure the common worker tows the line to their expectations. BTW, labor cost for your car is 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Let me say I like GM products and have no qualm with GM , just the UAW .
    Dang mr.prick you got me going .
    I was reared in a Union area , GM plant (Arlington #276) , General Dynamics (Lockheed Martin now) .
    Thanks for reading my rants .
    One day the UAW will be gone and I hope that when people are named that help it happen I am one of them .
    Last edited by 01Z; December 2nd, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - GM LS6 H/C
    EFILive FlashScan V1 - 7.5.6 (Build 133)

01Z,

I do apologize for any comments that may touch home...

Your points are reasonable and valid; there are many sides/aspects to this, and the fact that we're discussing these in the open means we appreciate being able to live in the Land of the Free (where we also value human rights).

Sometimes a person is right, sometimes wrong, sometimes hasn't the full picture, sometimes has a painted picture... there are many variables and combinations.

Also note that we're able to discuss a controversial subject here without assaulting peoples characters... this is a credit to all the forum members.

And as you can see mr.prick has strong focus (see post #14) [sorry Mike]

Cheers
    Joe
    :^)

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z View Post
    Where do you get these amazing numbers??

It's very troubling to see these statements and I work for one of the companies you mention - one that makes those things that protects your freedom. Big businesses, colleges, Hollywood and most of government has promoted union hatred since its inception. They have used propaganda much like this to gather contempt for at least three generations. Every dictator who has ever lived would never tolerated a labor union. Do you really think big businesses would offer anything close to a fair wage or to self impose factory and mining safety regulations without something to resist them from doing otherwise?

I currently belong to the UAW and have for nearly 35 years. I'm a conservative Christian, I love my country, pay taxes and contribute to charities and the local economy. I make $20 per hour (no longer enough to buy a home in a safe neighborhood, purchase a new car - ever - and certainly nothing there to send kids to college). I am categorized as skilled labor and have strict work rules with performance accountability while enduring this type of contempt from the people I serve. Indeed this is an extremely offensive string of posts against working class citizens, veterans and those who have in many ways contributed to a free nation! There was a time in our history when enterprising people created jobs and were humble enough to realize they were put on this earth to help fellow human beings and their families. I do not comprehend this mentality in those that cannot see why a business should exist for the sake of the common people rather than amassing more money for those who are already very wealthy.

joecar, your wife's Grand Am GT may not be falling apart because of lazy, over privileged UAW members. It could be from a company management policy bent on trying to make something cheaper / faster in order to sell it for a better profit.... Please don't blame the cheap material and rush job tactics on the lower class people who are increasingly videoed and scrutinized. Even if the worker is lazy, they will not get away with it for very long. Companies pay a lot of money to consultants and supervisors to make sure the common worker tows the line to their expectations. BTW, labor cost for your car is 6%.
    I'm sorry 01Z but throwing in all the ques to make it sound better does not fly , I'm a Christian (some Christians take that as a license to lie , cheat and steal without repercussions), I have heard this all before , we are Americans , but when it comes to doing something like not taking billions in bailout/loans you take greed over America , there are strict Labor Laws now thus no need for Unions .
    It was the UAW that took the Billions for the UAW Healthcare Trust Fund , and you are one of those that use that money , then you are in that class , regardless of your perceived honor to America .
    To hurt fellow Americans for the sake of yourselves while you still enjoy living beyond the realm of most average Americans and think you deserve it because you build a car , please , how un-American can you get . 95% of pay when laid off with full healthcare , so being laid off is just one long vacation with close to full pay , and still get Christmas Bonuses , anyone else get that at their job ? Unfair ? Well after all they build cars !
    They take our money and then want us to buy cars to pay ourselves back , pretty sweet huh.
    UAW scripted B.S. , I always hear the good old boy , Christian , Veteran story , S.O.S., S.O.S.a.D. (same old story, same old song and dance) , no one buys that anymore .
    Think I am lying ask 01Z , if he tells the truth you will see .
    Tell the nice people what happens when someone crosses a picket line , how violent does it get , good old UAW , beat/terrorize a SCAB (who the day before the strike was your friend).
    Like I said I grew up with Unions , ain't fooling me .
    Again another rant !
    Please forgive me I did not intend this to become a public forum for bashing the UAW and Unions .
    Last edited by Chevy366; December 2nd, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Joe I was eating some of those cookies when checking the new posts.
    They are really good with milk.

There's always going to be a Union Labor defender or two with something to say on this and to them I say:
    "Would GM have had this problem without the Union?"

I'm sure the Government held back selling it's shares so the value would not be lower.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Because there are respectable people involved in this international forum I will reply to you this once.

Your acidic posts are simply statements amiss fortifying facts; also, I do not believe you are actually sorry or asking forgiveness for anything and those statements are disingenuous. I should have left my faith out of this considering the contempt within your posts. I've lived long enough to know that "rants" such as yours get personal at the drop of a hat and I should have known better...

Just for the record, I and a very large number of UAW members have never worked in an auto plant; so perhaps you should focus your hatred more specifically.

In the length of time I have been in labor I have not seen anyone beaten or terrorized for betraying the oath to uphold the union which they had joined. I do believe it has happened because very strong emotions erupt when a livelihood is on the line.

The ability to form a union is just another part of our disappearing freedom. The pure concept of a union is to give united strength to the weak individual. A union has no benefit to the egocentric. Hence, no regard for the loss. To publicly announce the ambition to destroy a union is quite a testimony!

Finally, I have held many jobs in various areas of my line of work over the last 40 years. To some extent, a self serving mentality has prevailed in all of them but an eagerness to replace, undermine and inform negatively on other workers for personal gain is far more likely where there is no uniting of labor. This observation is my first reason for accepting an imperfect union.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    I'm sorry 01Z but throwing in all the ques to make it sound better does not fly , I'm a Christian (some Christians take that as a license to lie , cheat and steal without repercussions), I have heard this all before , we are Americans , but when it comes to doing something like not taking billions in bailout/loans you take greed over America , there are strict Labor Laws now thus no need for Unions .
    It was the UAW that took the Billions for the UAW Healthcare Trust Fund , and you are one of those that use that money , then you are in that class , regardless of your perceived honor to America .
    To hurt fellow Americans for the sake of yourselves while you still enjoy living beyond the realm of most average Americans and think you deserve it because you build a car , please , how un-American can you get . 95% of pay when laid off with full healthcare , so being laid off is just one long vacation with close to full pay , and still get Christmas Bonuses , anyone else get that at their job ? Unfair ? Well after all they build cars !
    They take our money and then want us to buy cars to pay ourselves back , pretty sweet huh.
    UAW scripted B.S. , I always hear the good old boy , Christian , Veteran story , S.O.S., S.O.S.a.D. (same old story, same old song and dance) , no one buys that anymore .
    Think I am lying ask 01Z , if he tells the truth you will see .
    Tell the nice people what happens when someone crosses a picket line , how violent does it get , good old UAW , beat/terrorize a SCAB (who the day before the strike was your friend).
    Like I said I grew up with Unions , ain't fooling me .
    Again another rant !
    Please forgive me I did not intend this to become a public forum for bashing the UAW and Unions .
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - GM LS6 H/C
    EFILive FlashScan V1 - 7.5.6 (Build 133)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12