Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that I have fedora 14 and virtual box...

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    and I think this is the case also, but, looking on the bright side, I can completely remove the "real" winders xp out of this computer now. No BS dual boot options, just boom, straight to fedora and IF I need windows, it's there. I still think that it runs faster inside of linux but that could be my imagination.

Next stop is a 128GB SSD hard drive.
    Love the Fedora 14 , have it on one of my other laptops , Fedora or SuSE for me , just a .rpm person , nothing wrong with .deb mind you .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Love the Fedora 14 , have it on one of my other laptops , Fedora or SuSE for me , just a .rpm person , nothing wrong with .deb mind you .
    Same here.. I've tinkered with Linux on and off since Lindows but I never "got it" until I installed FC12 and really forced myself to make all the applications work how I want. I'm starting to somewhat understand how a certain program functions with the OS, not just unpack this and type this and boom your program works.

2013 1SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic Camaro - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban - Roller cam'd high compression 454ci BBC tow monster
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc ModVP

Lifetime Member

Hey same here, I got into Linux with Lindows (later Linspire) and have since used Ubuntu on and off in test/play environments. Im going to try Fedora now though, want to play with as many flavors as I can get my hands on! BTW if anyone is looking to get some legacy hardware running again, check out Lubuntu. It uses LXDE as the GUI and runs faster on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM than Win XP ever did.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Same here.. I've tinkered with Linux on and off since Lindows but I never "got it" until I installed FC12 and really forced myself to make all the applications work how I want. I'm starting to somewhat understand how a certain program functions with the OS, not just unpack this and type this and boom your program works.
    Once you get use to Linux , Winders will become actually harder , well not harder but not as intuitive .
    If we could get more programers to leap into the Linux camp with games and hardware I think it would take off . Google , is my hopes , will lure more developers to Linux in the near future , I believe the Cellphone is fast becoming a replacement for all Computer devices , if had a dock that I could dock my cell in and give me a screen size and keyboard as that of a laptop I would abandon coms and use just occasionally as needed , having one OS to deal with .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Hey same here, I got into Linux with Lindows (later Linspire) and have since used Ubuntu on and off in test/play environments. Im going to try Fedora now though, want to play with as many flavors as I can get my hands on! BTW if anyone is looking to get some legacy hardware running again, check out Lubuntu. It uses LXDE as the GUI and runs faster on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM than Win XP ever did.
    Wow , Lindows , yeah that was a Linux nightmare , open root privileges , yikes !
    Thanks to Red Hat (Fedora) we have a file system of usable proportions , and SuSE for YaST package management (dependencies management) , I started with Corel Linux and then jumped to Red Hat .
    Ah the days of compiling your own kernel (SuSE made it so much easier when they devised a way to update the kernel without the need of compiling ) and chasing dependencies for a program , don't miss them at all .
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

I've pretty much always used gentoo, but I just installed Fedora 14 a few weeks ago. It's way too easy.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Thanks for sharing this ! I'm running F16 and I'll be installing VB as soon as I need to run EFI LIVE. I think this is so much better than dual booting.

yes, no doubt better than dual booting, but the last few iterations of the Linux Kernel have been power hogs in my machines. Even ArchBang with LXDE runs hot as hell and kills the batteries in both of my laptops. I'm back to a clean install of Windows 7 and have zero issues. I'm somewhat disappointed but it is what it is, I don't have time to screw with this stuff like I used to.

2013 1SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic Camaro - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban - Roller cam'd high compression 454ci BBC tow monster
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc ModVP

Even ArchBang with LXDE runs hot as hell and kills the batteries in both of my laptops. I'm back to a clean install of Windows 7 and have zero issues.
    I found exactly the same thing with Ubuntu on my laptop, battery life was at least one third of the time I would get if it was running Windows.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

People keep knocking Windows, honestly I dont believe they've used Windows 7 with any longevity if that's the case. Its much better on power and has a bunch of little tweaks here and there that really make it nice to use. Just wish you could Aero Snap different windows into the corners of the desktop instead of just left or right. Left or right is fine for screens up to about 24", above that with resolutions higher than 1080p it'd be great to snap to the corners to see 4 equally sized windows. But thats me picking at it ha!

BTW my 17.3" Core i7-2720QM, 8gb ram, 750gb hdd, 128gb Crucial M4 SSD gets ~8hrs of battery life just web browsing. If I enable the discrete Radeon HD card its about 1/2-1/3 that, Intel's Sandy Bridge is awesome. Cant wait for Ivy Bridge in a few months...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast