Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that I have fedora 14 and virtual box...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Now that I have fedora 14 and virtual box...

I'd like to get a few suggestions. Comp is an Acer aspireONE netbook (aka, minime) running a 1.5ghz atom processor and a gig of ram, the idea with this was not to replace my main tuning laptop (acer, w7 full touchscreen), but have something ultra portable that can be with me at all times. So, should I setup win XP in virtual box? how should I handle software? This machine doesn't have a CD drive.

2013 1SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic Camaro - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban - Roller cam'd high compression 454ci BBC tow monster
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc ModVP

Lifetime Member

You can try VB, not sure how successful you'll be in connecting your FlashScan into VB though.

Software is easy, download it from the main page/software release area when needed.

The tricky part will be the Fedora -> VB -> XP USB driver stuff, need to look for a FTDI USB driver for Fedora (think its available for Ubuntu).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

The Linux driver that you want for the connectivity is called ftdi_sio if i recall correctly. I'm going off memory of old experiments so I might be wrong tho. Please report back if you get it going, I'd be interested to see it working.

Seemed to work and download everything correctly late last night. I'll try to flash tonight and report back.

My question is: when does it become a windows machine, and when is it Linux? if you are booting windows, you're booting windows, doesn't matter if you are doing it by pressing an icon inside a Linux program or a power button on the laptop, you still need to deal with the windows BS to get to EFILive. A straight Linux port would be so much better suited to the tuning world. I don't think we'll ever see it, but I would pay to get my hands on it if I had to.

1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Seemed to work and download everything correctly late last night. I'll try to flash tonight and report back.

My question is: when does it become a windows machine, and when is it Linux? if you are booting windows, you're booting windows, doesn't matter if you are doing it by pressing an icon inside a Linux program or a power button on the laptop, you still need to deal with the windows BS to get to EFILive. A straight Linux port would be so much better suited to the tuning world. I don't think we'll ever see it, but I would pay to get my hands on it if I had to.
    Sadly you are still in Winders , be it VB or VMW ,( Wine and CodeWeavers tries to Emulate a Winders Environment without Winders ) , but you are just letting Winders reside in Linux .
    I agree a build for Linux would be nice , Google Chrome may change the game here in the new future , Linux is stifled from lack of Games and programs , came a long ways , but has a ways to go .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Works well, can scan, log and tune just like a windoze machine. Even updated the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Sadly you are still in Winders , be it VB or VMW ,
    and I think this is the case also, but, looking on the bright side, I can completely remove the "real" winders xp out of this computer now. No BS dual boot options, just boom, straight to fedora and IF I need windows, it's there. I still think that it runs faster inside of linux but that could be my imagination.

Next stop is a 128GB SSD hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    and I think this is the case also, but, looking on the bright side, I can completely remove the "real" winders xp out of this computer now. No BS dual boot options, just boom, straight to fedora and IF I need windows, it's there. I still think that it runs faster inside of linux but that could be my imagination.

Next stop is a 128GB SSD hard drive.
    Love the Fedora 14 , have it on one of my other laptops , Fedora or SuSE for me , just a .rpm person , nothing wrong with .deb mind you .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Love the Fedora 14 , have it on one of my other laptops , Fedora or SuSE for me , just a .rpm person , nothing wrong with .deb mind you .
    Same here.. I've tinkered with Linux on and off since Lindows but I never "got it" until I installed FC12 and really forced myself to make all the applications work how I want. I'm starting to somewhat understand how a certain program functions with the OS, not just unpack this and type this and boom your program works.

Lifetime Member

Awesome!

What usb drivers did you end up using?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast