Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now that I have fedora 14 and virtual box...

Funny with openSUSE I get far better than any Winders on both my laptops (Lenovo , Alienware) , I guess you just have to know Linux .
    KDE has power settings that allow the same if not better management as Winders (CPU scaling) <------ you know what this is right ? .

Hey to each his own , don't knock Linux if you don't understand it .

Understand Micro$oft is coming out with a new file system ReFS (Resilient File System) Server 8 , of course y'all knew that .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Want to see something amazing ? http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/2325
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Want to see something amazing ? http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/2325
    Hmmm, wow, how'd they do that...?!?!

Lifetime Member

Yep Ive heard rumors a new FS was coming out soon but didnt know when. We all know that with Vista a new file system was supposed to come out that tagged everything with XML but the name escapes me now.

CPU scaling, as in limit the max CPU usage while in different power plans? Or as in have the CPU dynamically adjust to different speeds based on environment (battery, plugged in)? W7 can do the first, if you have a semi-recent laptop (Core 2 Duo on) then the CPU/BIOS/OS automatically does the latter. I dont fully understand Linux (read havent been able to use it long enough at once), but Im pretty decent at Windows. Hard to migrate when everything I do is Windows based, thats becoming less and less true with mobile OSs taking more of my time (Android, iOS), but not sure I want to have to mess around in a command prompt to get basic stuff done anymore. Ubuntu (and Im sure others) are getting close, but only once you can actually override root privileges and install non-certified apps without touching the console, then they will see more mainstream adoption. Thats my .02 anyway.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

FYI Erik , you can DL Winders8 Alpha Developer version . http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/br229518

I like a few people on here , can set in front of a Mac , Winders or Linux machine and do just about what ever I need or want .
    Doesn't matter to me , they all work and all will do what I need . Just prefer Linux the most .
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 26th, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hmmm, wow, how'd they do that...?!?!
    Pretty cool huh ?
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

Ive had W8 Dev Preview since day 1 it was released, have it in VirtualBox now. I like the explorer improvements, but honestly Metro isnt doing it for me (yet). Without a touch screen, I have absolutely no reason to actually partition my actual hard drive and install it natively. Plus since its still in pre-beta (post alpha) state, some drivers are hard to come by Ive heard. Im just going to wait a month for the public beta to be released then use it more then, Im not quite as ready to leave W7 as I was Vista ha.

Im probably better in OS X than Linux, still much better in a Windows environment. Now that I have my desktop up and running again Ill play with running OS X on it. Had it running in VB a few times but I want to see if I cant get it done without VB.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

When I use to use Winders , use to use "cmd" from Run and do ipconfig , flushdns , dxdiag , Dr. Watson , among other things so used cmd line in Winders as well , don't see the problem about cmd line (shell or terminal) stuff .

Linux is free and I can alter to suit my fancy , kind of like that aspect . Openness gives me a warm feeling inside .
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 26th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

Thats true, but only at work did I usually have to use cmd prompt (aka all the time troubleshooting problems on other PCs), but at home I just want it to work without fussing with it. BTW, Dr. Watson doesnt exist on Windows Vista or W7, just lots of built in troubleshooters and Performance Monitoring Tools.

Im all about open source, I wish I had more time to play with Ubuntu (or Fedora, Red Hat would be my next ones). But Ill stick with Android as my open source OS for now...just waiting for ICS to hit most phones then Ill get a new one.
    ~Erik~

[QUOTE=ScarabEpic22;163164CPU scaling, as in limit the max CPU usage while in different power plans? Or as in have the CPU dynamically adjust to different speeds based on environment (battery, plugged in)? W7 can do the first, if you have a semi-recent laptop (Core 2 Duo on) then the CPU/BIOS/OS automatically does the latter.[/quote] You can do just about anything you want in Linux. The power saving scripts are all open and so is cpu throttling.

I dont fully understand Linux (read havent been able to use it long enough at once), but Im pretty decent at Windows.
    OK.

Hard to migrate when everything I do is Windows based, thats becoming less and less true with mobile OSs taking more of my time (Android, iOS), but not sure I want to have to mess around in a command prompt to get basic stuff done anymore. Ubuntu (and Im sure others) are getting close, but only once you can actually override root privileges and install non-certified apps without touching the console, then they will see more mainstream adoption.
    ???? Why would you want to override root privileges ? What do you mean by "non-certified" apps ? Not in the repositories ?

If people had any idea how well Linux works, particularly installing applications and maintenance, they would never resort to Windows.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast