Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Now that I have fedora 14 and virtual box...

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    BTW, Dr. Watson doesnt exist on Windows Vista or W7, just lots of built in troubleshooters and Performance Monitoring Tools.

But Ill stick with Android as my open source OS for now...just waiting for ICS to hit most phones then Ill get a new one.
    Really Erik , like I didn't know about Dr. Watson , come on bro .
    And built in troubleshooters and performance monitors , WOW makes me want to switch to Winders for sure . And a huge NOT !

Please do yourself and Linux a favor , stick to Winders and sell your Android device and go buy a W7.5 Mango phone .

openSuse for me , if it is good enough for Linus Trovalds , its good enough for me .

Not intended to cause anger or strife .
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 27th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    You can do just about anything you want in Linux. The power saving scripts are all open and so is cpu throttling.

OK.

???? Why would you want to override root privileges ? What do you mean by "non-certified" apps ? Not in the repositories ?

If people had any idea how well Linux works, particularly installing applications and maintenance, they would never resort to Windows.
    He (Erik) really doesn't know he is just repeating what he reads on the Internet in his Winders lovers forum .
    Not intended to anger or cause strife .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    You can do just about anything you want in Linux. The power saving scripts are all open and so is cpu throttling.

OK.

???? Why would you want to override root privileges ? What do you mean by "non-certified" apps ? Not in the repositories ?

If people had any idea how well Linux works, particularly installing applications and maintenance, they would never resort to Windows.
    Ok it pisses me off that to install the VirtualBox additions in a Linux VM that you have to get into the console and actually give the app root privileges. I know why its done this way, increased security, but its another step that when you're trying to get something done takes an extra minute or so.

My terminology isnt correct, but I meant apps that you have to go into the console to install. Not really "not-certified" I guess, more like "not-installer friendly". For diehard Linux guys you're ROFL right now and thats fine, but its a stark contrast to a few quick mouse clicks to install in Windows.

I agree, Ive only installed maybe 20 apps in Linux because I havent had the time to really dig into it. If you can come up with a flavor of Linux that installs every app without having to go into the console and you can do all the system config in a few mouse clicks in a GUI, you'll have flocks of people coming to Linux. Until then, those less tech-savvy aren't going to adopt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Really Erik , like I didn't know about Dr. Watson , come on bro .
    And built in troubleshooters and performance monitors , WOW makes me want to switch to Winders for sure . And a huge NOT !

Please do yourself and Linux a favor , stick to Winders and sell your Android device and go buy a W7.5 Mango phone .

openSuse for me , if it is good enough for Linus Trovalds , its good enough for me .

Not intended to cause anger or strife .
    From our previous conversations I figured you did most of your work with XP, shouldnt have assumed that on a whim.

Have you used the performance monitor in W7? I havent touched Vista anything because, gasp it was solid for me (2 BSODs in 2 years, 1 RTM, 1 SP1), but spent a little time in it on W7 at my summer job tracking issues and performance problems. BTW the only BSODs Ive got in the last year have been from me fixing other peoples mistakes or core unlocking/overclocking testing on my new desktop. Or this dang SSD, wish Crucial would fix it going to sleep (known firmware problem).

Have you used Win 7 Phone (not even Mango, hear its even better)? My friends HTC runs about 1.5-2x as fast with the same hardware specs as my Droid X does on Froyo 2.3.3, mine lags like crazy going between screens whereas his is buttery smooth. Hopefully ICS fixes this (heard its supposed to with more processing offloaded to the GPU) plus better GPUs for the hardware side of things. Still, iOS and Win 7 Phone are much more refined than Android 2.3.x. Not as customizable or open source, but they work and when my friggin Droid X freezes and reboots itself 2x a day its frustrating as he|| (this is my 2nd one and its worse than my first one). I dont like that its this way, but you can compare specs and spout off whatever you want, at the end of the day WP7 and iOS work whereas Android needs some help.

For now Ill leave you and your beloved Linux alone, Torvalds is a genius and his contributions are significant, but when trying to get a job fresh out of college I dont have time to learn another OS. Rather learn another programming language like C# or Javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    He (Erik) really doesn't know he is just repeating what he reads on the Internet in his Winders lovers forum .
    Not intended to anger or cause strife .
    Ouch man, and believe it or not Im not registered on any Windows forum. Just realized that myself ha.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

What the hell happened to this thread!?!

Erik, the latest update completely fixed my DX, unfortunately it was about 3 weeks before I got my Droid Razr Maxx. The situation kind of chaps my ass but I have a feeling they aren't going to let another POS update out the door like that whole DX debacle. All the processing horsepower in the world doesn't fix a buggy OS, and the modest processing power that iOS (or mango, ) stuff needs to be fluid and responsive is a great example of what can be done with a clean operating system. I think ICS is extremely close.

2013 1SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic Camaro - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban - Roller cam'd high compression 454ci BBC tow monster
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc ModVP

Hmmm, yeah, it took an interesting turn, but it seems good natured

Lifetime Member

I just re-read everything and I apologize for getting so up in arms about it.

My Droid X is still a POS and since its a X, I wont be getting ICS (at least an official release). Fully updated, have AVGs antivirus on it, have wiped it a few times, no dice. At this point Im beyond frustrated and in a few months Ill get a new phone (and it wont be a Motorola!).

(Side note- Spent some time installing and using Fedora, its a decent OS, but I still prefer Ubuntu and Lubuntu as a home end user. Fedora for testing RHEL is great, but I dont like it as a consumer OS at home.)
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Really, even with the latest update from just a few weeks ago? I wiped mine then installed that OTA and it works better than it did when it was on froyo.

1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Version is 4.5.621...

Lifetime Member

Didnt get that update yet, installing it now and will report back. But why didnt mine prompt me to auto update? Arrgghh its the little things like this that drive me nuts lol.
    ~Erik~

Mine didn't either. I was reading about something and noticed they were saying this new update was available, so I looked manually and there it was.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast