Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autocal novice

Lifetime Member

Umm, you can already do all that with a V2, which you HAVE to have to use any AutoCal device...Why bother using an AC unit when you can do it all with your V2 (except maybe flash if you want the AC (not your V2) linked to that PCM/ECM/TCM serial number). So you want to use an AC to bench read controllers, just like normal V2 BBR? The only reason would be to have the cal reside on the AC, but its easy enough to transfer cals from your PC that were read with a V2.

As for the remote part, thats the entire reason ACs were developed.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I appreciate all the comments especially as my questions are likely pretty elementary to an experienced tuner. I just received my first batch of AC's so was reading up on the forum when I came across this thread. From the comments I got the impression that you must have a computer in the car and transfer the read data with EFI Explorer to the laptop while the AC is still connected to the car. If you read with the AC and disconnect from the car it does not hold the data. This didn't make any sense as what I thought the whole reasoning for the AC is remote tuning. So you should be able to read data from a car and have it be retained in the AC for later use whatever that may be. If this isn't the case then yes may as well just use the V2.

Lifetime Member

No, ACs have 6MB (I think, or is it 6MB cal space + 2MB config?) of internal memory to store cals.

ACs are designed to go ahead and have the remote customer read out the stock tune and store it on the AC, then flash the new tune in. That way they can switch it in the field, just like we can with V2s.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. You thought you could only do pass-thru stuff in the field. Actually, you cant do ANY pass-thru stuff with an AC unit! Its all BBX stuff!

For a tuner, its waaay easier to just use your V2. Then copy the files to an AC unit and send it out.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Actually, you can use autocal as a pass thru device. Last night I helped a customer to use the new V8 interface to pass thru an E38 and T43 for both reading and writing.

You can also pass thru with the V7.5 scan tool and I imagine the V8 when it's ready (and boy does V8 SCAN look nice!!!).

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Lifetime Member

Brain fart, Im recalling Ross/Paul removing pass-thru reading/flashing with an AC in V7.5, I didnt realize you can use the V7.5 scan tool to pass-thru. V8 makes sense, AC + V8 are supposed to work hand in hand together.
    ~Erik~

I am strating to get a handle on the AC. I spent a bunch of time with it on the dyne today.

Reading the PCM cal works real nice with the AC standalone (ie. No laptop in the vehicle).

I am having difficulty getting the pids I select to log. I am dragging and dropping in EFI Explorer but they do not show up in the scan.

Lifetime Member

Use EFILive V8 Scan and Tune and open up BBX settings, need to setup the PIDs list there and then program the AC unit with those PIDs in V8 S&T.
    ~Erik~

Woops, serves me for not having the progs open while posting.

Was doing it in Scan & Tune not EFI E. In F5:BBX I select LMM Auto in PID Menu Items then drag and drop the PIDs from Available PIDs to Selected PIDs. I Program with "Program ALL required data."

I have tried different ways including deleting all the log files on the AC first as well as Format CONFIG file system.

As well on the F3:Tune tab I have entered an item with LMM Duramax ECM.

I have been Programming on both scan and tune, is this necessary.

Thanks a bunch,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12