Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using STFT to tune for now

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

So your previous hunch that the truck was lean does not appear to be the case. ....According to your Trims the fueling was actually very rich.

Did you disable the MAF? If you could post a tune & log it might be easier to comment on.

Thanks..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Lifetime Member

I did disable the MAF and since I don't have my WB O2 yet I used both STFT and LTFT. So negative fuel trims means it's rich? Cause thats saying it's taking away fuel right? Thats wierd then cause for the most part when i've heard of headers being put on it usually leans it out. Although most ones i've done was long tubes and full exhaust so I dunno. Ok I feel like a dummy, see if I posted the logs correct. And they are numerical so 3 is the latest adjustment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Ok I added a BEN for STFT. I see how it goes, so basically if I use the BEN pids as an average I would copy the numbers, the paste-mulitply those?

You normally paste and multiply when doing your fuel table.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

I am a little curious as to the vehicle's ECT. Does it ever get warmer than 145-150F?

You see you have B3802 set to 70C and B4108 is set to Disable. So on your last log I see a lot of LTFT's that remain at zero (0). So while you are getting some STFT data, it looks like your LTFT's are not really giving reliable data.

It does look like you successfully failed the MAF and you seem to have gotten some valid data. I am curious as to whether you are applying any filters (transient, ECT, etc), especially when the engine is that cold. Normally you get better results with the engine at normal ECT.

I personally would be hesitant in disabling B3616 (PE Mode) as you have. You don't activate it all all. Since your ECT's are so cold, you never hit the fuel enrichment you have in your OLFA Table B3605. Worst, it looks like you went the wrong way on your WOT EQ's. You are commanding an extremely lean AFR for some of the Throttle Openings/MAP's you hit. Looks like 16.6 AFR at WOT!

Sorry if I sound overly critical, but you posted the question and I am just giving you my observations. I would wait for the wideband and follow the AUTOVE to the letter. A wideband would have indicated how lean you were. The AUTOVE Tutorial also indicates the Commanded Fuel you should have and examples of the filters.

Good luck.
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; December 19th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Lifetime Member

I don't mind criticism im.learning and what im here for. I get my wb today just wanted to.get him close, had some issues I told him he needs to fix told him to get new tstat I think its sticking, and he has a missing issue think some plug wires are not all the way on. Well the commanded pe is stock and I disabled it to make sure I didn't hit it but as you can see I kept it about 2500rpm max ill re enable it when I get my wb so I can tune higher rpm too. Ok so you said multiply that's if you use either% average or ben?

Make sure the tunetool is set to AFR units or EQR units (Edit->Properties->Display->Commanded Fuel Values).

When viewing a table sanity check yourself by looking at the units on the 3 axis's.

Your ECT is too low to allow CL, which means trims can't be used for anything... is there a reason why ECT isn't coming warm enough...?

I would avoid STFT and use LTFT (when CL is achieved) since the LTFT is an integrated/averaged STFT (i.e. the PCM has already done some of the work for you).

I wouldn't add the LTFT to the VE table (even when displayed in %), this is the whole point of the BEN.

It might be good to set all the tables back to stock and start again...

Is there any reason to not run the MAF... the simplest thing to do right now is to run the MAF and follow Shawn's Calc.VE tutorial... and then clean it up by following with Auto VE tutorial using a wideband.

I only had a quick look at your files, I'll look closer tomorrow, as I'm sure Shawn will also.

Criticism... none of us are criticizing, we're just eager to see you succeeding...

Lifetime Member

Ok sorry i'm going by a tutorial i seen from someone that said take the LTFT then add it to the VE and then take the STFT and add it to the VE again. I'll start over once he gets the problems fixed, plus i'll have my wideband so won't have to mess with NB sensors anymore. I'm running with maf disabled for now to get the VE inline since I didn't have a WB but can run the CalcVE setup since I have a WB now. Ok so when I run the BEN for LTFT I get my numbers, then copy the LTFT table after I run my filter, then paste and multiply to the VE? I didnt' mean criticizing as a bad thing, a better word would of been critiquing LOL.

Lifetime Member

Oh one more thing in the CalcVE tutorial when you select your pids the page that says your final pid selection should look like this. There are 30 pids selected, but can have 24 max, whats up with that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast