Thread: P2a04 coming up one VE SSV

Default P2a04 coming up one VE SSV

Hi guys total newbie here, I have a VE SSV coming up with P2a04, now I'm pretty sure its a code for the o2 sensors and yes the vehicle has an aftermarket exhaust but still stock cats. I can turn off the dtc with the handheld V2 but it just comes back up again, so the question is how do I turn it off properly with efi live.

Any help much appreciated.

Lifetime Member

Hello DMAX403,

DTC P2A04 refers to oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2. DTC P2A01 refers to oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2.

These are the post cat oxygen sensors used to monitor catalytic convertor performance. They probably would have originally been set to “2 Trips, Emissions Related”. Setting them to “Not Reported” will eliminate the DTC.

As long as your cats are in good working order, tailpipe emissions won’t be effected. Check your local emissions requirements - this change would probably cause an issue in an area with any type of scanner or “readiness” test requirement.

Trying to remind myself this is a global forum, with varying emissions test requirements by region or nation …

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Hello DMAX403,

DTC P2A04 refers to oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2. DTC P2A01 refers to oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2.

These are the post cat oxygen sensors used to monitor catalytic convertor performance. They probably would have originally been set to “2 Trips, Emissions Related”. Setting them to “Not Reported” will eliminate the DTC.

As long as your cats are in good working order, tailpipe emissions won’t be effected. Check your local emissions requirements - this change would probably cause an issue in an area with any type of scanner or “readiness” test requirement.

Trying to remind myself this is a global forum, with varying emissions test requirements by region or nation …

Regards,
    Taz
    Thanks for the reply mate, No need to worry about emissions testing we don't have that in Australia. Not yet anyway i'm sure it'll come one day. Sorry about being a total retard when it comes to computers but how do I set them to "not reported"

Lifetime Member

Hello DMAX403,

Read your tune from your PCM and save it. Using the Tune Tool, open your tune file, then open the “Engine Diagnostics” folder, then double click on “Engine DTC Processing Enablers”. The P2A01 and P2A04 DTCs should be down near the bottom. Click on the one you want (this should highlight the “Value”), then click on “Not Reported” from the possible values near the top of the screen - to disable the DTC.

When you’re done - save the tune file (would rename it at the prompt). Then you should be able to flash this tune into your PCM.

Regards,
    Taz

Cool thanks mate, will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAX403 View Post
    yes the vehicle has an aftermarket exhaust but still stock cats.
    The important question is...

Is it running the std exhaust manifold? If you have put one long 4>1 extractors and retained the stock cats but moved them away from the engine, then you will throw rear O2 codes all the time. the ECM will sanity check both the response times and heater requirements on the rear O2's. Moveing them away from the engine makes them run colder, so they need to run more heater current and they will react slower due to being colder. Eventually the ECM has enough if this and throws a code. If you are tuning the ECM with a modified exhaust, you may as well just turn them off in the tune.

Simon

Lifetime Member

yeah they all do it with a modified exhuast system, the rear O2's run too cold and give "0" response voltage thus tripping the code.
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

turned off the codes about 2-3 weeks ago and hasn't come up since so looks like its all good. Thanks to everyone that helped out, much appreciated.