Thread: Tuning for economy

Lifetime Member

Default Tuning for economy

I'm gonna hook up my LC-1 when I get all my stuff together. What would be a good/safe lean AFR for diesel economy? Stoich is 14.6, I figured like cruise I could tune for 30:1 and be safe, or is that too lean?

What do you mean by safe? This is a diesel, not a gasser and leaner simply means less power. You can expect to see a a much wider range of AFR's in the diesel world than the gasser world, ranging from perhaps 10:1 (WOT and very smokey) all the way through 80:1 at idle.

I suggest you monitor the stock tune and get a feel for AFR's ratio under a wide range of operating conditions before you try setting up your own mileage tune.

Set your boost level first (if variable vane) then set your fuel curve based on a desired AFR.

Set your LC-1 to output in EQ vs AFR or Lambda.

Have you seen the Equivalence PID that Fingers created a few years ago for the LLY? You may be able to modify it for your engine family with the help of your LC-1.
    04 2500, LLY/A, 4x4, CC, SB, 285 Toyo's, Amsoil lubes, Access Roll-up Tonneau, ATS Stage 2 trans, ATS 5 Star Converter, Bilstein's, Caltracs bars, Cognito Braces, EFILive, Kennedy Diesel Custom Tuning, Kennedy Diesel headlight harness, Kennedy Dual Lift Pump/Filter combo, Prodigy brake controller, Spa DG 211, Trippin Cyclops overhead gauge mount, , TTS 4" Exhaust, TTS Xtreme Beta, Amsoil Ea filters, Banks CAI

Lifetime Member

No I havent seen the pids hemi see if I can find them.

Lifetime Member

Sorry ... just saw Tim's signature ... he has had repeated posts of late tuning his gas pickup ... thought this was in relation to that vehicle ... missed that this was another vehicle that is diesel ... my apologies for any confusion caused.

Regards,
    Taz

EDIT: I deleted the gasoline based post above.

Lifetime Member

No prob Taz I knew what you meant, i'm tuning my friends gas S-10. My pickup is a diesel. But good info on the lean cruise on gas i'm looking to set him up with a lean cruise anyways.