Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with E67's ETC tables will I brick the PCM?

Default Playing with E67's ETC tables will I brick the PCM?

Well before I go and screw myself again....... can I adjust the ETC tables on my E67 PCM without fear of bricking the PCM???? I toasted a 0411 PCM a while back and I do not want to do it again.... gets awful expensive when you have to 'bribe' your local GM dealer to do a reflash on your PCM without a car attached to it!!! I am using a '08 Trailblazer LL8 cal and the throttle opening rates are ridiculously slow and need to be changed! Now I can see why these things seem so doggy, GM didn't let the throttle open up to make any power!!!!
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    Well before I go and screw myself again....... can I adjust the ETC tables on my E67 PCM without fear of bricking the PCM???? I toasted a 0411 PCM a while back and I do not want to do it again.... gets awful expensive when you have to 'bribe' your local GM dealer to do a reflash on your PCM without a car attached to it!!! I am using a '08 Trailblazer LL8 cal and the throttle opening rates are ridiculously slow and need to be changed! Now I can see why these things seem so doggy, GM didn't let the throttle open up to make any power!!!!
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mike
    Do you mean this warning:

LTER THE THROTTLE RESPONSE TABLES AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU MAY CAUSE UNCONTROLLABLE DRIVING CONDITIONS OR FORCE THE ECM INTO ETC SHUTDOWN MODE WHICH MAY REQUIRE A REPLACEMENT ECM. TYPICALLY THESE ETC RESPONSE TABLES CANNOT BE INCREASED BY MORE THAN 3% FROM THE FACTORY SETTINGS BEFORE LIMP MODE WILL OCCUR.

You could try a few percentage points at a time until you reach limp. Generally the ECM might be set for an +/- 8% error (commanded vs actual) for example but the ETC controller itself for i.e. 6%. If you get a P1516 DTC you are crossing the ETC boundary, and P2101 the ECM throttle position boundary. Not sure how they relate...maybe additive. i.e. 8% = bad, 14% = very bad. Have certainly pushed throttle blades a ways before they go limp but havent killed on yet. (GM catastrophic failure mode? Or maybe Toyota mode ... not? )

Have seen a reputable tuner really mess these up and still only go into limp mode which returning them to stock fixed it.

Lifetime Member

I havent messed with the LL8 cal on E67s, but on the P10s just reduce the TM and they respond a LOT quicker.

Have you tried setting B0515, B0517 to No, B2523 to Yes and turning off traction control? I wonder if TCS is kicking in and cutting power.

My TBSS cal has the ETC tables set to 99.998% all around. I would try increasing it a little, I might have another E67 on hand if you want to test and see if you can max the tables out then adjust the Torque Control tables to make sure you dont hit limp mode by making too much torque too quickly.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I looked at a few Vette cals and noticed the ETC tables were the same, maxed out. I just was paranoid that if I jacked up the ETC tables that I would toast the computer... I did it once to a 411 computer and do not want to do the same on this computer. The E67's are a dime a dozen 'round here so getting a replacement is not an issue, just convincing someone that my bench harness is safe to use with their $6500 Tech 2 is hard to do!!!
    Right now I am just bench testing, had to make sure that my 'collection' of parts was going to function before I make a harness and get it installed in the car. I imagine that the ramp rate of the throttle opening will be different when the car is running, right now it takes 4 seconds to make the throttle blades go wide open from when flooring the accelerator. I have driven some newer Trailblazers and it feels like the same is happening when you drive. The first 20% or so of the throttle is pretty responsive, after that it pretty lethargic!!!
    I am just going to keep upping the limits of the EtC table and killing some torque management and see what happens!!!!
    BTW, can I get a copy of that '08 TBSS cal by chance, please?????

Mike
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!

Lifetime Member

No prob, its attached!

I havent watched my 02s throttle open, but I think it opens pretty quickly with no TM. What you really need to see is at what RPM does the blade open fully. If its around 3000rpms thats normal for a stock tune, need to adjust a few params to make it go faster.

E67s might be dime a dozen, but you need an 08-09 E67 with a TrailBlazer base calibration. As in one that has been flashed by a Tech II for a (regular) TrailBlazer (5.3 or 4.2). But if you're using a Tech II, then just have them use an 08 LL8 OS/cal and be set!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; January 3rd, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Well, I can say that you can safely max out table B2804 on the '08 LL8 E67 cal with no apparent side effects to the ECM. Throttle response (at least on my test bench) is the way it should be. When the table is maxed out, the throttle blade follows the gas pedal, just like one would think it should!!! The difference is like night and day, it would almost take a video to show the difference!!! With the stock calibration, mash the accelerator pedal, and the throttle blade took approx. 4 seconds to make WOT on the throttle body, GM must of been really concerned 'bout something behind the 4.2!!!! If I have a chance, I will try to get some video and put on youtube to show the masive difference!!!
    Thanks for the help!!!
    Mike

Lifetime Member

Woohoo, now we need someone to do this on an actual TB to make sure it works on the car!

Glad it worked out and you didnt brick an E67!
    ~Erik~

I said I would post a video comparing the opening rates of the factory LL8 Trailblazer cal vs maxed out rates that most performance vehicles that use an E67 PCM would use.GM must not wanted the soccer Mom to spill her Mocha Latte when she floor boards her Trailblazer!!!! I do apologize for the nasty Midwest Accent, I suppose living in SE Wisconsin all but 2 years of my life had something to do with that!!! I hope this describes what I was trying to say!

Thanks for looking
    Mike

Mike, thanks for posting the vid...

wow, I think I would sprain/break my right foot with the second throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    I said I would post a video comparing the opening rates of the factory LL8 Trailblazer cal vs maxed out rates that most performance vehicles that use an E67 PCM would use.GM must not wanted the soccer Mom to spill her Mocha Latte when she floor boards her Trailblazer!!!! I do apologize for the nasty Midwest Accent, I suppose living in SE Wisconsin all but 2 years of my life had something to do with that!!! I hope this describes what I was trying to say!

Thanks for looking
    Mike
    Is that a household light switch you're using for switching ignition power?!
    24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast