Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of GM (and career options) ?

Question Future of GM (and career options) ?

What do you guys make of the future of GM ( and it's employees )? I am trying to do my freaking out this year in a controlled and mature fashion. At the moment I am doing fairly well as an Audi technician, but I spend all my free time wondering where this is going... not learning as much as I hoped I would that contributes to my dream of becoming an great tuner with my own company. Audi likes to keep all their technical information to themselves and just provide procedures and instructions for the monkey technicians. I find that all the successful techs simply excel at the "procedures" and have trouble answering or even discussing diagnosis and theory! So while I really want to be responsible and grateful, I am tormented by my dreams and aspirations of being a full time EFILive tuner. :( Is my fantasy of picking up the GM career where I left off a horrible move for my family?
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

GM vehicles are fairly widespread, GM technical information is available (at a price), and there are various GM expert technical sources (for example see www.flatrater.com)...

It all depends on various things like who will be be your customers (who has the most spendable money collectively speaking), what will you be offering (diagnostics/repair, dyno/tuning, conversions, engine/transmission specialty), what is the difference in your projected income over the next 5 to 10 years, and other things.

Yes, a vehicle technician that has trouble discussing diagnosis/theory has been ripped off by his employer (in the sense that he has been incorrectly trained)... when you start your own shop there will be a great deal of self training that you will have to maintain... you will also have to analyze which tools you will need (for example see www.autonerdz.com), the correct tool will both save time and make money.

If you specifically want to be a tuner, you have to see what your competitors are offering and one-up them.

Your question has no simple/single answer...

Thanks I can always just hang in there and grab everything I am learrning and apply it. You are so right. To be fair, the techs are smart and knowledgeable, I am just spoiled by hanging around Haltech tuners and GM master techs when I was younger, so I think there is more hands on involvement in the diagnosis and brain development there. God has a sense of humor, a few hours after I wrote this they decided to fly me to Texas for diagnosis training
    The best I can do for now is try to excel at a steady solid job and learn any way possible, there and HERE. Thanks!!!!

Thanks for bearing with me during my occasional moments of doubt and confusion. Verict: stay with great company, make a living for family, eliminate all worthless activities and learn as much as possible about tuning and EFILive, that way I can hack through this life with a double edged sword (pro tech / specialty tuner). That'll work just fine, GLORY TO GOD!!! Thanks guys

After 3 long years, Boost gets to put on the nice blue and black American uniform again TODAY. May it not come off for the next 30 years. Lord JESUS bless the work of my hands and my heart! For - HIS - Glory, amen.

(YES THAT MEANS I QUIT THE FANCY AUDI / FERRARI DEALER - THEY BEGGED ME TO STAY BUT I AM BACK WITH GM !!!)

In all seriousness, my EFILive involvment was a huge deciding factor in this. Thank you for all the advice, now I will pick up the pieces where I left off. I was a flat rate GM tech when I first bought EFILive in 2006. Two 500 hp LBZs and a gasser 2500HD were the first 3 victims

Keep up the great work guys! Thanks !!!

Hey, keep on keeping on

Take all the training GM throws at you, and then ask for more (you already knew that).

Thank you old friend! Boy it has been a challenging but rewarding first day, and I got another one lined up tomorrow. I am so GLAD I did this. I need to be a man again... thankful to God for the ability and encouragement. I know this is SICK in a way but EFILive was a big reason and I think it's going to work out just fine!

And just one more thing Audi is sissy stuff and those guys could NEVER do this. Ok, I'm done

(edit: I should probably fill you guys in that I have been listening to "GM is thrash" non-stop for 9-months from my co-workers that drive brand new A8s that cost more than my house... with less power than my old truck LOL)
    Last edited by Boost; March 16th, 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Lifetime Member

Not that I think Audi is the be-all end-all of car companies, but they did win the 24 hours of LeMans with a diesel so they clearly know what they're doing.

Ira

Lifetime Member

Im a huge sucker for VW/Audi, my parents and brother all have them. Dad's 03 Audi A6 3.0 has been great with the exception of the fuel pump going randomly at 30k (I was driving, not so good...). Brothers 08 Jetta 2.5 is a powerful little car, wish it was a GLI but it does has a 6spd auto and gets 35mpg at 75mph. Mom's 10 Audi Q5 3.2, man I love this car. Same engine as my dad's A6 but a little more cubes and Direct Injection, makes as much hp/tq as GM's 4.2L I6 engine!

Wish my TBSS had a 6spd and got 25mpg on the highway.

But I love my GMs, they've been super reliable.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast