Thread: DSP Trouble...Urgent question!

Default DSP Trouble...Urgent question!

Hey guys,
    Working on a 2007 classic LBZ, os# 06128. Installed all programming for the DSP 5, no issues there.

I put the switch in and accidentally connected the gray signal wire to #45 instead of 46, couldn't get it loose so we let it ride until today, we got it out and switched it to #46 and still we have nothing. Black ground wire is in #54, I've checked and double checked the positions with the tutorial as well as my own truck which is an LBZ and they're identical.

Maybe a loose wire... but I've inspected them and nothing pulls loose and the connectors are clamping to the ecm securely....

Using a multimeter we get no circuit... not sure if it's supposed to, we connected the red probe to the black wire and the black probe to the ground wire and it shows nothing with the key on.

We grounded the black wire to a different location under the hood... still no signal to the meter yet.

Is there a way to test the signal and ground circuits?

The switch itself is good because it works fine on my truck, just not his.

Thanks for the help!!!
    Last edited by LBZoom; January 8th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

Update... tested my hookup with a multi-meter and have the correct voltage from the signal wire, the truck I'm working on has no voltage from the signal wire regardless or where we ground to. We've tried grounding the wire to different points, and also grounding the multimeter to different points and still no voltage.

Obviously it's a signal wire issue, like I said it appears to be seated fine... is it possible that there is an issue with the ECM or the calibration?
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

Have you logged the voltage pid?
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Lifetime Member

The ECM pin you connect the voltage side supplies voltage. 5V across a 2.2K resistor or something like that. The DSP5 switch puts different resistors in series to ground creating a voltage divider. The switch can be easily tested with an ohm meter. The series is something like 270 ohm, 1K, 2.2K, 5.8K and the last one will be 25K or just open. If you connect just the wire to the voltage pin on the ECM and don't connect the ground you should measure 5V on the wire you connected, if you don't, there is a problem. After you connect the ground the voltage on the voltage wire should move between around 1V and 5V when you turn the switch.

Ira

Okay, yeah I logged that Michael and show nothing, same with the multi-meter. We're gonna check the wire for breaks and then pull the wire out of the connector and use the probe on the multimeter to connect direct to the ecm and see is we have voltage. That should tell us if we just weren't seating properly or if it's actually in the ECM.

Thanks guys!
    Peace Through Torque

Got it working, pulled the pin on the signal wire and used a new pin and inserted it back in, everything felt the same as it did before... except this time it worked! Must've been something just a hair off even though the pin was locked in... who knows. Thanks guys!
    Peace Through Torque