Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do not connect FlashScan between a vehicle and a laptop powered by a power inverter

Ok thanks. To aid my peace of mind, how many amps is the fuse in the V2. I will check the resistance as well. Assuming I get ~0.05Ω, 250mV/0.05Ω = 5A. Is 5A too much? Thanks for the help. I am anal so I can't stop thinking about something until I know it is working within limits, in the mean time I get a headache.

Lifetime Member

Sorry, fuse is probably he wrong word. The chip that dies is more for static protection but it's in a place where it protects the V2. As USB can not supply more than 500ma, if you want to use a fuse it should be no more than 1/2 amp. It's not so much that too much current is drawn, it's more like the V2 gets used as a ground strap. In theory, one of these, http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...txtModelID=226 , should solve the problem. That's if I correctly understand what it it. I believe it electrically disconnects the device from the wall while still providing power, $100 or so from Amazon. But, modern small laptops are approaching 8 hours on a charge and a charged laptop battery is still the safest way to go.

Ira

First post to EFILive...and a bit disappointed to read about these grounding issues. It sounds real simple right...just buy a new laptop with great battery life and there's the solution. Unfortunately, that's real simple for most, and considering that many of us have laptops that otherwise would work fine, seems there's some sort of alternative solution to be had. My laptop is old, and batteries are not available (even if they were, why would I buy new expensive laptop batteries for an old machine). It works great with my Holley EFI systems since it has a serial port (reason I have it). My options, so I thought, were these:

1. Use my old laptop (Win 2K) with an inverter. That's how I use it with the Holley systems. Sounds like I can't though without possibly damaging the V2.
    2. Use the old laptop plugged into the wall for read/flash only. Data logging...guess I can't. Still a chance of damaging the V2.
    3. Run a cord from my 2nd floor to my desktop. Not elegant, same issues as option 2.
    4. Buy a new laptop. Uh, not right now.
    5. BBx?

I found this thread looking for info on BBx. Is this an option? Where do I find more info about what it is, what it does, how to use it, etc? I have a duramax (06 van LLY, not even sure how to figure out the controller model number) that I want to read/flash/datalog. I can't afford to play guinea pig and damage hardware. This is all very confusing (I thought the Holley stuff was bad). Just the basic documentation could be simplier, IMO. Sorry for the bad attitude...I'm frustrated to find out that I can't use the hardware I had hoped to...help is appreciated. I do expect that EFI will do what I need and in the long run work great...

Lifetime Member

There may not be one solution that works for everyone. I spent $68 on eBay on an extended battery for my older Notebook (my newer Notebook is not compatible with an extended battery) - and this was money well spent. I can't speak to Diesel tuning, but I have found that anything I can log with the Notebook I can also log using the BBL option with the V2. I was initially resistant to the BBL option, but am using it more and more currently.

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks Taz. I think the real solution for my needs is BBR/L/F. I've been searching trying to find more info, but have come up short. My laptop is approx. 10 years old. I had over 10 batteries for it, but of course they're almost all dead now. Never a problem since I have always used the inverter. To be honest, I have no real use for a laptop except for EFI, which I'm hoping will be minimal use. I use desktops with high end video cards for CAD design. A low end laptop just isn't useful to my life.

I'll keep searching for BBx info. Thanks again!

If you have V2, there is no good reason for not using BBL/BBR/BBF (on a supported vehicle).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If you have V2, there is no good reason for not using BBL/BBR/BBF (on a supported vehicle).
    How do I find out if I have a supported vehicle? If it is supported, is there a simple tutorial for using the BBx features?

What year/model/vehicle do yo have...?

Lifetime Member

To access a list of supported vehicles go to the EFILive main webpage (www.efilive.com) then go to the “Support” tab … select “Supported Vehicles” (options are GM Gas Vehicles, GM Diesel vehicles, GM Transmissions). Click on whichever of those options applies to you … the vehicles are listed by their respective PCM / ECM.

Attached are 3 PDF files and one Word document (zipped) that relate to the V2 - hopefully these will answer at least some of your questions.

Regards,
    Taz

Thanks for the help! I guess I should be more clear. I've read up on the V2 manuals and other info I could find. My vehicle is listed as supported (that's why I ordered the V2). It's an '06 GMC Savanna with 6.6L Duramax. The vin code used is LLY, but it's the same as the LBZ (at least the engine with variable turbo is). The OS/tuning is different from the trucks though (can't use DSP). So, I guess what I'm asking for is a tutorial or manual on specifically using the BBx functions. Maybe it'll be more clear (self explanatory?) when I get it in hand (tomorrow). Just seems that this is a major change to the software (V7 to V8), and seems difficult to find info about. I must be missing something.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm hoping to use it this weekend to turn off EGR (put a blocker plate in last night along with a new direct pipe and 4" straight exhaust). Really don't want to screw anything up electronically...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast