Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: going to S/D tune O/S on a 99 PCM

Default Re: going to S/D tune O/S on a 99 PCM

Ok, I want to go MAF less but I'm running a 99 PCM O/S. I guess this means that first I have to upgrade my O/S to a 2001 and tune the car, then go to the S/D O/S.

Does this sound right? I'll be using a WideBand Commander setup.

Sorry if I'm being a redundant post, I'm just a little dense.

Before I do any O/S changing I will be upgrading to a FAST 90MM setup to take advantage of my heads and cam . I want to ditch the MAF during the conversion and go S/D.
    Last edited by DaleMX; December 15th, 2005 at 11:50 PM.
    Dale

78 Datsun 280Z W/LS1/T56

TR230, Absolute Speed stage II 5.3 heads, Fast 90mm setup, JTR 1 3/4 headers.

you do not need to upgrade from your '99 os to run SD. However, the 01-02+ and custom OS's do have some advantage over the 97-00.

OK, that sounds good. The reason I thought that was from the Tutorial that stated at the end that 2000 and earlier should hook up their MAF and ... and to me it appeared that the 2001 and up could go without it. I'll go over the procedure again, I must have missed something.
    Dale

78 Datsun 280Z W/LS1/T56

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

There are no custom operating systems for the 99/00 PCMs. But as TA said, you can run SD using a stock 99/00 operating system - just remove the MAF.

However, runnning SD using the stock PCM restricts the PCM to using the low octane spark table only.
    If you upgrade your PCM to a 01/02 custom operating system that will restore dual spark map capabilities to your SD tuning.

A typical 99/00->01/02 upgrade could be from the stock operating system: 09381344 to the custom operating system: 01290001, which is based on the stock operating system: 12225074.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I would like to upgrade. Having the dual spark table is a must in my book, but I just have the std license. I guess I have to upgrade before I can upgrade. I that correct?

What version do I need, Commercial? Is my 512K PCM big enough for the 2001 O/S?
    Dale

78 Datsun 280Z W/LS1/T56

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMX
    I would like to upgrade. Having the dual spark table is a must in my book, but I just have the std license. I guess I have to upgrade before I can upgrade. I that correct?

What version do I need, Commercial? Is my 512K PCM big enough for the 2001 O/S?
    Once the custom OS is installed in your PCM, you can tune it with the Personal version, you just can't install (i.e. full flash) the custom OS to begin with.
    If you know someone close by who has a workshop version they could flash it for you - saves upgrading.

But if you don't have access to anyone that can flash it for you, you can upgrade to Commercial for $150 here:
    http://store.efilive.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=23

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks for the help TA, Paul.
    Dale

78 Datsun 280Z W/LS1/T56

no problem

Default stupid question?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMX
    Ok, I want to go MAF less but I'm running a 99 PCM O/S. I guess this means that first I have to upgrade my O/S to a 2001 and tune the car, then go to the S/D O/S.

Does this sound right? I'll be using a WideBand Commander setup.

Sorry if I'm being a redundant post, I'm just a little dense.

Before I do any O/S changing I will be upgrading to a FAST 90MM setup to take advantage of my heads and cam . I want to ditch the MAF during the conversion and go S/D.
    I had to sound stupid....but what is S/D ??
    '00 Pewter TA WS6 12.6@111 on street tires 1.87 60'
    PERFORMANCE: BG Ram Air, Lid, K&N, MSD 8.5 wires, NGK TR55's, 160*
    SUSPENSION: BMR-STB/SFC/PHR, UMI LCA's
    DRIVETRAIN: rebuilt 4L60E. 3000TCI, Hayden Trans Cooler, Yukon 3.73's, TA girdle
    TUNING: EFILive
    No runs after engine upgrade
    Newest mods:LS6-intake/heads/ported oil pump, 28lb injectors, Comps-918's, Comps 224/230 .581/.592 114 cam, Dynatech LT's, Rollmaster chain.

Some people think S/D or SD (depending on your preference) is the automotive equivalent of b&d, but it actually stands for speed density. If your next question is, "What is speed density?", it's a method by which an engine's air consumption is computed based on engine speed and the density of air in the intake manifold (measured as manifold absolute pressure or MAP).

And just for reference, remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast