Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Calc.VET: correcting MAF and calculating VE (in single log)

Thanks Joecar.

I took away the last bit and it all worked fine.

Cheers

Ben

I figured out what was causing lean numbers in the logs on my car. My fuel pump was failing and has failed. So I'm waiting for the new one and get it installed so I can try to start tuning again.
    2007 TBSS-All stock
    2001 WS6 TA-Stockish, custom paint, LS7 clutch, spray, 6 point rollbar.
    1998 TA- Not much stock, 408, t350, spray, cage, fastest LSX in Alaska, 9.755@136 (so far)drag radial street car, driven, never trailered.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    I figured out what was causing lean numbers in the logs on my car. My fuel pump was failing and has failed. So I'm waiting for the new one and get it installed so I can try to start tuning again.
    Let us know how you go...

I'm about to run Calc VET for the first time and have a few questions.

Do I perform Calc VET for IDLE as with calc VE (Idle Tips & Tricks)?

While logging, do I simply drive the car to WOT to address the full RPM range?

In a nut shell i have NO idea what im doing, as far as tuning im trying. That is, just trying. I have followed the layed out instructions and right now i am at the Filter part. What do i want to filter exactly.

Any help would be appreciated, even if its just someone saying, get off my butt and figure it out.

Dustin
    2OO5 SILVERADO/4.8/LS6 CAM/KBR FRONT MOUNT on 7lbs /MARINE 8.1'S/4L80E/YANK 3200/4.11/LC-1 wideband

I have no idea how to tune with my V2...but im doing it anyways

Lifetime Member

I must be retarded because I can't figure out how I get from recording a log to getting the calc.vet map. I have searched, and I can't find anything that tells me what to use to create the map either. Can someone please point me to something. I'm lost here. It's information overload!

Lifetime Member

Go to the first post and at the bottom of that post is a link to download the CALC.VET Tuning Tutorial. Under Item #3 at the top of the page in bold lettters is:

CREATE CALC.VET {B0101} MAP

Follow the 15 steps. You'll be good to go.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SOMhaveit View Post
    Go to the first post and at the bottom of that post is a link to download the CALC.VET Tuning Tutorial. Under Item #3 at the top of the page in bold lettters is:

CREATE CALC.VET {B0101} MAP

Follow the 15 steps. You'll be good to go.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by 2005 silverado View Post
    In a nut shell i have NO idea what im doing, as far as tuning im trying. That is, just trying. I have followed the layed out instructions and right now i am at the Filter part. What do i want to filter exactly.

Any help would be appreciated, even if its just someone saying, get off my butt and figure it out.

Dustin
    You are logging data and it is storing that data (in the background) in maps that you define ahead of time. Make sure when you click on the maps tab and select a and check b to see that you have two tables ready to accept data that you log when you are driving.

This data is going to contain a bunch of junk that you don't want, ie during low or high coolant temp, fast throttle movement, low rpm, and excessively rich conditions. You only want the readings from a warm engine when you were applying steady throttle etc. The filter gets rid of all the junk.

So to complete step three from the screenshot on the first post of this thread, once you have populated the table with your data after you log your drive, you go to the filter settings and make a filter you can call CALC.VE so it's easy to remember.

On the maps tab, click edit filter settings (Ctrl+Alt+Enter), click new, enter CALC.VE as the name and click ok.
    In the dialog box, you should see CALC.VE at the top, now you want to give it the conditions to filter out.
    Under Filter control select "Exclude data frames" so that it excludes all of this garbage from the data you mapped. Your first parameter can be Engine Coolant Temp and make sure you use the same units you logged (F or C). Filter type should be "less than" and then enter 176 for 176 degrees F. "join using" AND or OR can only be changed after you add it, so click add and you will see your condition listed in the white box at the bottom. You can change the condition to "OR" once you have set them all up.

You want to filter 5 different conditions out of this data so keep adding the other 4 just like above ie. coolant temp greater than 212F, TP changing more than 5% per 100 MS, RPM less than 800 as well as Lambda greater than 1.06. Use text at the bottom of the screenshot to verify you set them up correctly.

Click each one on the list and join it to the next by selecting the "OR" button for each condition so that it looks like the screenshot.

When you click ok, it calculates the cell contents but it filters out and excludes all data where coolant temp was less than 176F or greater than 212F or TP changed more than 5% per 100 MS or RPM was less than 800 or Lambda was greater than 1.06. (you may have to click the apply filter button to the left of the map "A" button.)

You can change these settings as you desire, for instance I had a ton of data so I used 10% per 100 ms TP change to get rid of even more data that may have been skewed from jerky throttle movements, but these should do the trick to get you onto your next step of copying this table into your VE table and smoothing it out.

Many thanks to Joe for helping me get this far, I am still new to this like you are, but he and others have spent a lot of thankless time to help us guys understand these complicated techniques.

EDIT***I was working for days off of the old tutorial included with my software If you use the tutorial at the bottom of the original post you should have a MUCH easier time figuring this out!
    Last edited by johnmaster; August 19th, 2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: DOH

John, good write up on filtering

Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast