Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Calc.VET: correcting MAF and calculating VE (in single log)

Yes, you could swap the wires between pins #C and #E.

Cool. I like that better because that will keep me close to the tutorial. That way when I refer back to it (and I will) I don't get myself lost. Haha
    2007 TBSS-All stock
    2001 WS6 TA-Stockish, custom paint, LS7 clutch, spray, 6 point rollbar.
    1998 TA- Not much stock, 408, t350, spray, cage, fastest LSX in Alaska, 9.755@136 (so far)drag radial street car, driven, never trailered.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Based on the PM's I have received it seems the most difficulties with utilizing the CALC.VET method of Tuning is in implementing the calc_pids.txt file. This includes merging with existing calc_pids.txt, displacement, analog WO2's etc.. I.E., the 'computer stuff'.

We are working on making some of those issues easier. In the meantime, the best offer I can give you is to post your concerns/problems on this thread. Depending on our personal workloads, Joecar or myself can probably help. Its always best to try yourself..you learn more that way, but if you really get stuck posting up may also help others.

Some users have asked about utilizing AFR in lieu of EQ. This method of tuning does not preclude the use of AFR. EQ and BEN's are just an easy computation, and saves a few Pids. If you are utterly opposed to anything but AFR, the calc_pids.txt can be written to accommodate you.

Thanks..

WeathermanShawn..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

WeathermanShawn you beat me to it.

I am one of the pms that Shawn recieved. I have changed some stuff in the calc pids.txt file before, but I dont like to do it. I am not a computer guy. Getting much better since I have had EFI but I am still wary of changing some things for fear of messing it up. Heck I dont even like to update the software for fear of loosing something. Can the pids be added to the current text? I dont want to loose some of the stuff that I have now. I do think though that having the Calc.Vet stuff would be awesome to have in my tuning arsenal. That leads me to another of my issues. I know that I can use EQ, but I am a ASE Master tech, shop owner and I have always been taught in AFR. I use it everyday. It just seems easier to me to use that in lieu of EQ ratio when I am looking at data. Even if it does require the use of some more pids. So if there is a way to set up the pids for AFR I would grasp it alot better. If not I can get the eq way of thinking, it will just take some doing.

My other question is in the calc_pids.text you are to change displacement. Well that is good if you only tune say a 5.7 for instance. My car has a 402 in it. My wifes GTO is a 6.0. I have guys with 5.3's, 5.7's, 6.0's ect.. that I end up doing stuff for. Since I am not "computer savvy" Is there a way to have a different set of stuff for different displacemnt so you dont have to change the file when you tune different stuff. I am sure that a problem would arise at time where you would start tuning something and realize that "I forgot to change that" I dont know how much difference it would make to the tuning you do, I am just asking some of the things that I thought of.

These are just a few of the thoughts I have had while kickin around the idea of Calc.Vet. I love calc.ve and I think this would be better from the standpoint of doing wot/pe stuff at the same time. (as long as your tune is close enough to go wot on the first run). I think you could acheive a cleaner ve table without having to filter some of the stuff you do in calc.ve

Hi Len:

Thanks for sharing. I thought you raised some interesting points. I also asked Joecar for assistance in calc_pids.txt questions and solutions. This forum is very lucky to have Joe. So, once again Joe..thanks for your help.

After your question, I did a quick WOT down a deserted country road...I used the same PIDS I have posted on Page 1. Even though the 'BEN' is calculated using EQ, I am still able to log AFR. So, I don't think that will be an issue.

The filtering..I wish we did not have to do any. The best I can do is to perfect the CALC.VET Filter..but it is tough. You can even see on my log, that transitioning into PE Mode creates a few bad frames, along with WOT DFCO shifts.

I am pretty good at manually smoothing VE Tables, so I can either try to do a write-up or offer to do a few if asked. I prefer a relatively 'smooth' VE Table, with just the normal harmonics expected.

Thanks again for your candidness. We will get you some answers..
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband

No problem Shawn.

I realize that you will never have a "perfect ve" but for some reason mine had high peaks down low and if I smoothed them the car ended up having a dead spot. So I left them alone. I am curious with starting over from a stock 02 tune and doing a bit better filtering what it will look like when I am done.

I know that you, Joe, and others that are more on the cutting edge of the "computer stuff" will figure out a way to make everything work. I and I am sure everybody else on this site appriciates all the time you guys put into figuring out this stuff because in the end we all reap the rewards of your work.

As an experiment log AFR and EQIVRATIO... say take a 10-20 minute log with various driving.

Look at those two pids on a chart...

set the chart range for those two pids as follows:
    - AFR: min 10.63, max 18.63.
    - EQIVRATIO: min 0.5, max 1.5.

When EQ 1.00 (AFR 14.63) is commanded, the lines will be overlap along the middle of the chart.

Take a closer look at where the commanded EQIVRATIO transitions or ripples... you will see that AFR sometimes stays static even tho EQIVRATIO shows a change... if you set the tunetool to view in EQ units, then using scantool->tunetool pid linking, you will see those changes matching up to the EQ values in the fuel tables.

i.e. the AFR pid isn't quite right sometimes.

So, my opinion is to use EQIVRATIO, and if you want to see AFR then use a pid which covertss EQIVRATIO to AFR (using the stoich AFR in B3601).

Default Displacement...

In the calc_pids.txt file, the displacement value of 5.669 can be replaced with displacement() making the calc_pids.txt file independent of the vehicle you're currently tuning;

then when you first open a log file, go Edit->Log File Information->Vehicle Options, and next to Engine enter the displacement in cc, click Ok, and save the log file...

e.g. for stock displacement LS1 you would enter 5669 next to Engine.

When you save the log file, the displacement is now permanently saved in this log file.

You can now proceed with the Calc.VET tutorial.

See attached calc_pids.txt file...

Also, sometime in the future, the scantool's builtin CALC.VE pid will be updated to look like the CALC.VEN pid you see in the attached file... (i.e. the CALC.VEN pid can be discarded since the builtin CALC.VE pid will be identical to it).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; March 23rd, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Len, when you get a chance post up your existing calc_pids.txt file. Are you Analog or Serial Wideband? If Analog, which one (brand name).

Then tell us exactly what you want to do (including your AFR request). Also tell us what your B3601 value is (stoich).

We can then re-work it and hopefully get it working..

Edit: Joecar is giving a hint of future improvements in the existing CALC.VE pids. Hopefully even simpler and better..
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; March 23rd, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Additional Information..

Yah, I like it to be simple

Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast