Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Response $31: "Request Out of Range" when changing VIN on '00 Escalade

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Sorry, I forgot to post my reply when I first read the file.
    Unfortunately the ECM is simply rejecting the VIN change command as "unsupported".
    The negative response code of $31 means that the ECM does not support changing the VIN using the standard GM VIN changing messages.
    I don't know how else to change the VIN on that controller.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

So if I buy a different PCM, it should work, or will I get the same thing happening again?

Quote Originally Posted by mjalstad View Post
    So if I buy a different PCM, it should work, or will I get the same thing happening again?
    No, I don't think it is a problem with that particular PCM, I think it is just that GM decided not to implement the VIN change option in the software that is in the PCM. So even ifyou got a different PCM it would still have the same software and would still have the same inability to change the VIN.

I'll take a look at it in more detail when I get back in the office next week. Can you send me the *.tun (or *.ctd) file from your PCM so I can put it in a PCM here and see what I can figure out.

Regards
    Paul

I'll try to get you a file this weekend sometime. So is it going to be this way on all 98-00 Vortec PCMs then? I bought a 99 Suburban PCM on ebay hoping that it will work on that one, but I haven't received it yet to be able to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by mjalstad View Post
    I'll try to get you a file this weekend sometime. So is it going to be this way on all 98-00 Vortec PCMs then? I bought a 99 Suburban PCM on ebay hoping that it will work on that one, but I haven't received it yet to be able to find out.
    Yes, I would expect them all to be that way. I just tried it here on a Vortec PCM and it fails in exactly the same way.
    Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

I know when reading a Vortec PCM out the VIN field reads N/A, I havent tried to change the VIN for one though.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

So I contacted tuner cat since this is something that I need and they said the following:

They are correct in that the Vortec (black) PCMs used in the 1996 - 2000
    trucks do not support changing the VIN with a single instruction like the
    newer LS1 style PCMs. You can change the VIN in these early PCMs but it
    requires that you reprogram the entire calibration file so you can do it but
    it's a much slower process.

So would I be able to do it that way? I just have the flashscan V2 scan only tool. I will need to be changing VINs many times on probably at least 3 different PCMs. Will I be able to do this or am I going to need to look for a different tuning program. The only reason I bought this was for changing VINs on PCMs, it is working great on the 99 and up LS1 PCMs but if I can't change the Vortec PCMs I'm going to need to look for a new tool. Please let me know what I can do. Thank you

If what they are suggesting is correct (needing to full flash) then is cannot be done with the Scan Only product (obviously). I'm away from the office but I'll need to confirm that we support full-flash on that PCM.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Can you please send as many *.tun (or *.ctd) files from the different L31 (vortec) controllers that you have read out.
    It looks like it is possible to do with EFILive, however I need to verify that the data in all the L31 files has the same format/layout.

Please zip up the *.tun (or *.ctd) files and send them to paul@efilive.com

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

I sent you the only one I have, hope it helps!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast