Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Trip thru Oz...

Smile Road Trip thru Oz...

My wife and I are planning on a road trip thru southeastern and central Australia in the very near future...

We want to see the towns/sites along the way, and we want to avoid the rushed package tours.

Rail between Adelaide and Alice Springs is an option.

I welcome anyone's ideas/comments... anything we should watch out for (I know the obvious extra petrol and water when traveling thru desert)...?

I've never done a road trip around Australia, however my wife and I did do one in the US back in 96, best thing to do is just drive and don't really plan anything.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I've never done a road trip around Australia, however my wife and I did do one in the US back in 96, best thing to do is just drive and don't really plan anything.

We let you in the US? I'll have to talk to someone about that... hahaha
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
    We let you in the US? I'll have to talk to someone about that... hahaha
    I almost know the immigration guys at LAX by name
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The road from Adelaide to Alice is in good condition. Taking the train would mean that you would miss out on places like Coober Pedy & Ayers Rock(Not much of a loss IMO but they are touristy places to visit)
    Phone coverage out there is sparse so you would want to make sure you have enough water etc to last a couple of hours at worst.
    A handheld UHF on channel 40 will keep you in contact with the trucks on the road. This can be a lifesaver as pinpointing the areas where there is cattle or other livestock on the road can prevent an accident. (Though kangaroos around low light can be expected anywhere)
    The Tremor at AIR

Road trip through Aus is great! Let me know when you're in Melb and we'll have to catch up.

The main road around Australia is the Princes Highway. It's a single road that runs the perimeter of the mainland and is generally in pretty good condition when you take in to account Australia is the size of the USA (minus Alaska and Hawaii ) and we only have 20M people. Depending on where you are going and when, we can come up with some excellent routes to get different places or just for day trips. If you give us a basic itinerary of where you'll be and what you want to see, I'm sure we can come up with something.

Be warned though, many tourists from the US tend to come to Australia and decide to stay......

Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by swingtan View Post
    Be warned though, many tourists from the US tend to come to Australia and decide to stay......
    Until they go to McDonalds and order a 'large' drink only to find it's the same size as an American small. I go to McDonalds maybe once a year, so I don't really know if it's changed, but I do recall ordering a large drink in the US one time and it came in what I would call a bucket!! there was enough liquid in there to wash a car with.

Or until they find out how much of the native fauna will kill or hurt you.....

Not planning on coming to NZ are ya Joe?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I do recall ordering a large drink in the US one time and it came in what I would call a bucket!! there was enough liquid in there to wash a car with.
    That's why 95% of Americans are morbidly obese... No one here knows what self control is and succumb to corporate brain washing... It's a pretty pathetic world we live in now

sorry for the digression
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast