Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorials

Default Tutorials

First, I'll introduce myself to those who may not be familiar with me in the past. I'm Steve Bryant, one of the Beta Testers and I've been extremely interested in developing some informational/educational material for people wanting to learn about tuning. As I see it, there is an abundance of information on the web regarding tuning the LS1 series engines. However, quantity doesn't always make for quality. Some of the information is accurate, but a lot of it is inaccurate, misleading, confusing, etc.

I am a electronics engineer with an aircraft manufacturer who used to be a diesel truck mechanic. In the interim, I've also worked in technical training as in instructor in avionics (aviation electronics) for pilots and technicians. Also, I'm a former flight instructor - single/multi-engine and instruments. One of my duties was to develop training curricula and materials. I've volunteered to work on this sort of thing for the good folks at EFILive.

Right now, I have two initial goals. One on to develop a primmer on tuning that will be down to earth and understandable by the majority of users. I'm already working on that and I hope to have a draft ready for proofreading and critique in the next few weeks. Additionally, I want to flesh out the diagram I drew a few months ago http://www.efilive.com/doc/Tutorials...20Tutorial.pdf of a wide band oxygen sensor/controller WBO2 installation into a three to five page pamphlet that explains several approaches of installing a WBO2 both permanently and temporarily since there's more than one way to skin cat. I want to explain about using a WBO2 to tailor the VE Table(s) to get fidelity between the table and the current state of modification of your engine, setting up power enrichment, etc.

I do believe that the topics in this new forum should be limited to the development of learning materials rather than the good discussions that are underway in the scanning and tuning forums. Now some things that are discussed there may migrate into a tutorial in time.

Please submit your ideas for things that you see as important in learning more about tuning. Let's remove the shroud of mystery together. If you're interested in contributing by writing-up or in some way documenting procedures, then bring it up here.

All my best,

Steve

I don't have any suggestions other than I think you have a great idea. There are many of us out here that are novices when it comes to tuning. I read every tuning forum related to LS1 engines and have obtained a lot of information, but I lack the basic experience and training. I rely heavily on what others state.

A "tuner basics" and "fact" reference would be great. It would help us nimrods grasp some of the more complex issues discussed on the tuning forums.

I offer encouragement!

Firstly I'd like to mirror the sentiment of 'mnotx', this is a fantastic idea, and will be immensely useful for all us tuning new comers.

One topic I can think of immediately is: How to convert a car currently using a Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF) to run 'mafless'.

Sounds like a good idea. Being one of the afore mentioned "nimrods" though, I'm not sure how I can help.

Here's my opinion:

Anyone willing to spend an hour or so should be more than able to learn how to edit tables, use the smoothing functions, disable CAGS, etc., none of that is a problem.

What I could really use is a runthrough of how everything effects everything else. I need to know what the variation in one system does to the other systems... I'm not sure how to say this, but I wish I had a "big picture" on how everything effects everything else.

For example, the last tuning I did was in relation to the fueling... I am trying to get the LTFTs down to around -2 across the board. For some reason there is a pretty big "split" between fueling at low manifold pressure/low RPM and slightly higher values. Something is also happening at ~ 5000 RPM when at wide open throttle.

I'm pretty sure there are some systems or variables kicking in and out at these points, but I'm not sure how everything is working together.

Wish I could explain myself better...

You folks are reinforcing my perceptions of what is needed. By the way, I want to make it clear that I my claim to fame (if I have one) :lol: , is not as a tuner. However, I have been making a concerted effort over the past year to document questions that people have (including my own) regarding the inner-workings of the PCM and tuning software/hardware. I will enlist the help of other knowledgeable people in reviewing the information that I post in this area. Some of the topics that I plan to cover are:

1. Basic Concepts of Electronic Engine/Powertrain Control
    2. Correlation of traditional engine designs (carburetor with Kettering Ignition) and PCM control. For instance, spark advance is still controlled in the same two ways: engine vacuum (MAP) and centrifugal (RPM).
    3. Correlation of the mechanical parts of the engine and their sensors to the corresponding tables and parameters in the software.
    4. Using the scanning and tune software as a team
    5. Examination of one's goals in tuning.
    7. Different ways of achieving similar goals and the interaction of interrelated parameters, tables, etc.

I could go on, but if I did, I might never shut up.

Steve

Steve, Thank you. This is a great idea. I don't know much - yet, but please let me know if I can be any help.

Kevin
    \'04 Z16 Corvette, AFR 205 heads, Comp 228/232 114+4 LSA custom cam, HS Rockers, Kooks 1 7/8\' headers, 3\" X-pipe, stock Ti tail section. \'98 Corvette Pace Car, \'04 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4.

Sounds great. I'll be happy to help as well, any way that I can.

I could go on, but if I did, I might never shut up.
    Please, go on. 8)

By the way, off topic, but what company do you work for? I'm a pilot myself and am looking for a company who needs a newly graduated computer engineer.

Guys,

I don't want to be a killjoy :cry: , but the main idea behind this was not so much 'how to tune' but how to do things within Flashscan.

Having said that, I am sure we (or anyone) can throw in a few tuning specific ideas.
    Remember, there is a few LS1 and Tuning boards out there already.

I am going to put togeather a few basics to give you an idea of what we had in mind, and if they get the tick of approval then we shall add as time permits.

Cheers,
    Ross

Ross,

You're not being a killjoy. I would welcome your guidance and examples.

Regards,

Steve

Same here Ross. Any education would be appreciated.
    \'04 Z16 Corvette, AFR 205 heads, Comp 228/232 114+4 LSA custom cam, HS Rockers, Kooks 1 7/8\' headers, 3\" X-pipe, stock Ti tail section. \'98 Corvette Pace Car, \'04 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast