Thread: Question about locked ECM...

Default Question about locked ECM...

Hey guys,
    forgive me in advance for the vague description, I'm posting this up for a fella who emailed me an inquiry...

His truck (LLY I believe) will not accept any programmers besides a Superchips, he's tried PPE, Quadzilla, and one other I think and they all say there's an error reading the ECM, the Superchips brand works just fine.

He does have an aftermarket radio, and he's unplugged the radio and tried as well as the fuses associated with the radio and tried it that way he said.

Sounds like the Superchips brand programmer has locked the ECM, even when he removes the programmer and puts it on another truck, his ECM will still not cooperate with any other brands... hasn't tried EFI Live yet so you can see where I'm going with this..... any thoughts? Thanks!
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

2013 NHRDA Sportsman World Champion

www.PunisherPerformance.com

I'm not aware of any programmers that lock ECM's (on purpose). It might be something else on the truck, you know how LLY's are.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yeah I hear ya there!
    Peace Through Torque

Punisher Performance DSP5 Tuning, PPE Dual CP3's, 68mm Fleece Cheetah, Punisher Built trans w/ Suncoast Parts, Airdog 165, SoCal 100% Overs, ARP Studs

Correction guys, it's an LB7 motor, not the LLY...
    Peace Through Torque

I have only seen this happen on one truck before, but I was able to read & flash it with efi live. After I full flashed it with a stock tune it worked fine. I don't know if the programmer changed something that the other handhelds didn't like or what exactly happened but with EFI I didnt have any problems. This happened on a LBZ though.

I know I wrote a tune for a truck that had a PPE on it, and even after it had been returned to stock according to the PPE, it still left footprints and some changes in the ECM's base tune.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Yeah, I think the EFI Live will tap into it just fine because let's face it...nothing else can come close to the power of EFI Live! Thanks for the replies guys!
    Peace Through Torque