Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allison VIN flashing

Default Allison VIN flashing

I have a brand spanky new A46 controller. When I pull the cal it tells me the VIN is ??????????????. I have tried to enter a new VIN and reflash, but even though the reflash is successful the vin still reads ??????????????. Also, a scan gives P0602 (controller not programmed), which is interesting because the TCM does have an OS (25982140) and the cal tables are populated. I assumed I was getting the P0602 because the VIn was blank, but as I mentioned for some reason EFI Live will not flash in a new VIN.

Any ideas??? Does this thing have to be programmed with a Tech II before EFI Live will do anything with it? I was hoping to be able to avoid that and just flash my modded tables into new TCMs with EFI Live...

We have the 25982140 OS listed as being an A50 controller which we currently don't support. We have it down as the next development activity after the 2006 5.9 Cummins support is generally released.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Looks like GM threw us both a curve ball. The controller I have is an A46, not an A50. I bought it directly from GM, and the parts guy (who has been a friend for years) showed be the list of superseded part numbers. Apparently, the A46 now supersedes the A40 and A41.

Anyway, if you need any files, let me know. Also, I still want to pester you for full flash capability for the pre-A50 TCMs. I know all about the long read times, and that is fine. I am even willing to trade out some Linux hacking,, maybe working on a Linux HAPI for you? I know Paul would go for a bribe like that

Question, how many TCM's can Allison make for the same truck??? Apparently the answer is 4!! What the heck is going on? Looking at your avatar MaxPF, someone at GM needs a talking to from Sergeant Hartman on this.
    If the A46 is still part of the A4x series then it should still work as an A40 or A41 in every aspect of reading and flashing. Generally new controllers from GM don't have full calibrations in them, hence the dealership is forced to flash the correct files in from TIS2WEB. However I have never seen a brand new A4x or A5x TCM to know what is actually in them.
    On the VIN change, the Allison TCM takes about 30 seconds to shut-down once the IGN is turned off, if you are doing this in a truck then you will have to wait this long for the VIN to take. If you are doing it on a bench harness then make sure the TCM still has battery power when the IGN 12V is turned off.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I have no idea why there are so many revisions on the TCM's. It is possible that parts availability or cost of certain components forced minor redesigns. Having worked in the electronics industry for so many years I have seen that happen often enough.

So far, I have been able to read and flash the TCM fine, except for the VIN. This is being done on the bench, and I have waited for the full 30 seconds with the ignition power disconnected but battery power still connected. I will try it again, and wait several minutes this time. If it doesn't work, I will go ahead and have it reflashed with a Tech II.

If you want, I can send you the cal file I pulled from it so you can see what it has in it. If I had the capability to read the entire OS then I can send you that too

OK, so I was using V7.5 for all the stuff I was trying to do. I fired up the latest V8, made sure the bootloader and firmware was updated to the latest release, and read the TCM with V8. Since V8 doesn't allow any mods at this point, I opened the cal under V7, changed the VIN, and resaved. I then opened the modified .ctd file with V8 and reflashed the TCM. Afterwards, I disconnected the ignition power only and waited for a full minute (this was done on the bench). Once again, the VIN did not take :(

FWIW, I have made some changes to the defuel tables and reflashed those, and upon read back they were indeed modified. Strange that the VIN stays blank though. Anyway, I will try to get it reflashed with a Tech II sometime this week and see what happens after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    We have the 25982140 OS listed as being an A50 controller which we currently don't support. We have it down as the next development activity after the 2006 5.9 Cummins support is generally released.
    Could we get an update/ETC on this?
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

I hate to bump such an old thread but it is the most relevant one that I have found..

I have a new TCM for LBZ Allison (an A46 which replaced the A40). Like MaxPF, I get the P0602 Controller not Programmed. The VIN was ?????????????? which I was able to change to the appropriate VIN, however, it still reports P0602. The tables seem to be populated. I cannot flash the stock controller calibration to it with EFILive because the OS is different (24256580).

Any solutions? If someone has a working file for 24256580 Allison TCM behind the LBZ, should that get rid of the P0602? Is there a setting in the file that would get rid of it? Thanks for your help!!

Kind regards,

Ross

The Allison TCM replacement situation is a mess, we suggest to people they have GM to flash it with TIS first because if the wrong type is attempted it will brick the TCM (best have that on GM's hands).
    There is a great thread on here 'somewhere' where this is discussed.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Believe this is the thread which had the most details about this mess.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...-T14-confusion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast