Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: IAT is 39?

"I think the tune is screwed up" is very, VERY misleading and has caused me some heated discussion. The tune is corrupted and no amount of expertise can fix the tune as it exists. I don't know how the tune got corrupted but knowing that information will help in solving the issue. I'm going to see Doc tonight and he will be able to get my ECM back to square 1 with a cal flash. I have my stock tune from a few days after I brought the car home. I can only pray that my dieseling issue could also be a result of the ECM corruption. This should not be this hard. My tuner has done tuning on superchargers and turbos often and there have been no issues. Doc is an expert at this stuff and has given long hours with me trying to solve the issues.

This thread was a simple question on something that I couldn't logically explain. IN hind sight, it may have been better to ask Doc first and not post this up. I figured that I had bugged him enough and the problem was something that I was doing wrong. I want to make sure that there is NO insinuation that the tuner caused this issue. The tune was not "Screwed up". The file got corrupted somewhere along the way and has been a monster from that point on.

Elmer

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
    I want to make sure that there is NO insinuation that the tuner caused this issue. The tune was not "Screwed up". The file got corrupted somewhere along the way and has been a monster from that point on.
    Elmer
    I agree 100% that the person tuning the vehicle did not screw up.

Sometimes the word "tuner" is used mean the person doing the tune and sometimes it is used to mean the software/hardware package used to edit/flash the changes.
    Sometimes the word "tune" is used to mean the actual changes made to the ECM and sometimes it can mean the tune file.

So you're right to make sure everyone reading this thread is aware of what we're actually saying...

Some software/hardware package* has caused the tune file to become corrupt. From that point on it was never going to work no matter who or what was making changes to the tune file.
    The fact that the vehicle runs at all is (in my humble opinion) testament to: 1) The resilience of the ECM to continue operating even when its partially damaged and 2) skills of the tuner (i.e. person) who may have had to make a lot of other changes to a lot of other parameters just to counteract what the corruption was doing.

* I'd like to think it is not EFILive but I can't rule that out - yet. Although so far nothing indicates it was the EFILive software that messed up the file.

Please keep this thread updated with the result of using a stock file and tuning it again.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

This should not be this hard. My tuner has done tuning on superchargers and turbos often and there have been no issues. Doc is an expert at this stuff and has given long hours with me trying to solve the issues.
    Elmer
    One thing to note that a corrupted file like this is operating system dependent. So it may be that a tuner (i.e. person) could tune a hundred similar vehicles but never one with the exact same OS. In that case that one OS would be the only one that ended up being corrupted. In fact the corruption may have occurred while the ECM was being recovered in the first place.
    This document explains some of the pitfalls of recovery.
    http://download.efilive.com/Document...ty%20Guide.pdf

Even GM's programming system will corrupt an ECM if the incorrect files are loaded into it. I believe EFILive is the only tuning package that will warn you prior to a full-flash if you attempt to program a non-compatible tune file into an ECM.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

You are using the wrong IAT transfer function for the E-Force TMAP sensor, the correct transfer function is:

Resistance Temperature
    563 150
    715 140
    918 130
    1191 120
    1564 110
    2080 100
    2804 90
    3273 85
    3837 80
    4515 75
    5337 70
    6335 65
    7556 60
    9056 55
    10908 50
    13216 45
    16092 40
    19696 35
    24239 30
    30000 25
    37352 20
    46797 15
    59016 10
    74940 5
    95851 0
    123485 -5
    160313 -10
    209816 -15
    276959 -20
    368896 -25
    496051 -30
    673787 -35
    925021 -40

yonson, welcome to the forum and thanks for your input.

Well, shit. This may be the direct result of the hand held E-Force SCT tune tool. When my Supercharger was installed, the car would not run after the SCT tune was uploaded. A Rep from SCT went over to Doc's shop and used something (ask Doc) to revive the ECM as it had become a brick. They got it to run and then Doc immediately used EFILive to work up a tune to "step away" from the Edelbrock tune. We have been chasing a "dieseling" issue at shut down. I've had so many tunes from Edelbrock and Doc to try an solve that issue I'd hate guess how many I've loaded. I'm STILL dieseling at shut down. I do not know what base tune Doc used to create his work. It may have been a "historical" tune from a similar car that he adjusted for my car. It may have been a scratch tune from a base 2007 E38 2007 Corvette tune. I just don't know any more.

I fired this thread off to Doc and asked him to look in here and comment.

If Doc touched the car or me, we used EFILive.

Elmer
    Elmer,

There's a few different things touching the flash there...

Yes, most definitely not the fault of the tuner (person), Doc would have no control over what you described, and no fault was ever implied; he would certainly be interested to see it tho.
    you certainly ran into a good juicy interesting corruption of some sort

It might be good to start from a known good tune, and copy tables to it one-at-time... keep us posted.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345