Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo Brake Function?

Lifetime Member

Default Re: Turbo Brake Function?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Lawdawg View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but how do you get the vanes to only do this while operating in T/H mode? On the LMM it looks easy but the LBZ I can't find a way???
    LBZ is identical to the LMM with respect to turbo brake tuning. Also, there is no way to turn it on ONLY while in T/H, however, there is a way to cheese it. Under normal driving conditions (cruise braking) the engine typically won't go above ~2000-2100rpm so you can close the vanes down in 0-5mm3 and above 2000rpm and without T/H the turbo won't close down.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

After pouring over this some more there looks to be a way to do it through the TCM as well. It would technically be on all the time at 0% throttle input but you would only "feel" it when the TC is locked.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Lawdawg View Post
    After pouring over this some more there looks to be a way to do it through the TCM as well. It would technically be on all the time at 0% throttle input but you would only "feel" it when the TC is locked.
    The only way to engage the turbine brake is through the engine tune. And, yes you are correct the only way you'll feel the brake is with the converter locked.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Are the vanes strong enough to turbo brake the truck? Silly question but I am picturing a small turbo slowing down a huge truck... the idea is strange to me at first. Also, is there any undesired effect say in heat buildup due to the backpressure? I ask because I increased idle vane position on an LBZ for better response and desired sound. Thanks.
    Given that "no-fuel" exhaust is not capable of much more than 10-15 psi of boost at 4000 engine rpm, the turbo shaft is only exposed to something like 50HP max of power, which is transferred to the wheels for braking if the TC is locked. IIRC, the shaft is good for at least 250HP before snapping (albeit at 20,000 rpm).

In reference to the other concern about having an unlocked TC at high rpm, if you do this with hard turbo brake in T/H mode, your tranny will toast pretty quickly in theory on a 10 mile grade. Serious viscous slip heat.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Has anyone had turbo braking just stop working? but still build normal boost levels when not braking.

Lifetime Member

Converter unlock or something? Some parameter wasn't met and the vanes opened up. Its in the program. Best thing to do is log

It is most likely something goofy or inconsistent that I am doing, but it seems to me that known good turbo brake settings only work on 50% of my trucks. I know for instance that some OS do not have certain transient tables that affect this, and also that it only kicks in when specific conditions are met but - on some trucks it works great and is easy to notice it yet others in never works or only once in a blue moon... haven't quite figured this out yet.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Dose any know what are the best duramax OS are.

Lifetime Member

I don't have it in front of me but the second from the latest is the one I prefer. For LBZ, that is. The last OS that was made for the LBZ was rumored to have tune tracking so I passed on the "update."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123