Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l60E W/ Rachet shifter want it to hold geart till i change and still keep D function

Lifetime Member HellKnightHicks's Avatar

Default 4l60E W/ Rachet shifter want it to hold geart till i change and still keep D function

Im putting a hurst Rachet shifter on my Racing built 4l60e

I would like to tune the computer to hold the gear im in and not force an upshift.

Ive looked that the tables but am generally unclear as to how to accomplish this.

So im assuming that i just max out all of the following tables to 8192

{D0940} WOT 1->2 Shift RPM, Normal
    {D0941} WOT 1->2 Shift RPM, Performance
    {D0942} WOT 1->2 Shift RPM, Hot
    {D0969} WOT 1->2 Shift RPM, 4WD Low
    {D0945} WOT 2->3 Shift RPM, Normal
    {D0946} WOT 2->3 Shift RPM, Performance
    {D0947} WOT 2->3 Shift RPM, Hot
    {D0970} WOT 2->3 Shift RPM, 4WD Low
    {D0950} WOT 3->4 Shift RPM, Normal
    {D0951} WOT 3->4 Shift RPM, Performance
    {D0952} WOT 3->4 Shift RPM, Hot
    {D0971} WOT 3->4 Shift RPM, 4WD Low

That should take care of the at WOT scenario

How ever i would also like the option to just put it in drive..... and let the ECM handle it..... that may effect that. What do you guys think?

No, do not max them out, if you do then it won't upshift at WOT (even when you move the lever).

You can set it up to hold Manual 1st and Manual 2nd (should already be like that in stock form), but in Manual 3rd it will auto shift 1-2-3.

What year/vehicle...?

Post your tune file.
    Last edited by joecar; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:08 PM.

I would look at D0913, D0918, D0919, D0914.
    Back yard boost
    347+ T76 = 770 rwhp 10.96 @ 135 mph

Lifetime Member

If you set all the WOT upshift RPM parameters to 8192 RPM - the transmission won’t upshift at WOT until 8192 RPM is reached - despite input from the gear selector. Vehicle speed and RPM parameters must both be met for a WOT upshift to occur.

A 4L60 transmission should not upshift beyond the gear selected (after configuring D0913, D0914, D0918, D0919) - but it will downshift below the gear selected, if the conditions for the downshift are met.

Manual downshift maximum speed parameters may be adjusted via D0928 and D0933.

If you want to fully control the upshift and downshift via the gear selector - and have it hold that particular gear indefinitely - the only option I can think of, is a full manual shift kit - but that would eliminate all automatic functionality.

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    If you set all the WOT upshift RPM parameters to 8192 RPM - the transmission won’t upshift at WOT until 8192 RPM is reached - despite input from the gear selector. Vehicle speed and RPM parameters must both be met for a WOT upshift to occur.

A 4L60 transmission should not upshift beyond the gear selected (after configuring D0913, D0914, D0918, D0919) - but it will downshift below the gear selected, if the conditions for the downshift are met.

Manual downshift maximum speed parameters may be adjusted via D0928 and D0933.

If you want to fully control the upshift and downshift via the gear selector - and have it hold that particular gear indefinitely - the only option I can think of, is a full manual shift kit - but that would eliminate all automatic functionality.

Regards,
    Taz

So you do not think that i can acheve this by modifying the tables listed above?

even if i could make it so that it would hold gears and get rid of the automatic shift up or down id be ok with that.

The transmission company i purchased it from offers a computer that plugs direcly into the tranny to allow you to shift full manual... i had assumed that i could do the same with the computer.

Well with the majority of the cars ive tuned, they will already manually hold 1st and 2nd no matter what (with very few exceptions). It also won't go into 4th unless the shifter is in 4th. So set all your upshifts to 0 mph and your downshifts to 256mph.

Lifetime Member

Good point … I had over looked that option … those tuning changes would have a similar effect as a full manual shift kit.

Although, this would effectively disable all “automatic” shift functions ….

Regards,
    Taz

Yes, slow67's suggestion will make the PCM hold each gear (you won't have any automatic shifts);

However I think you will be more consistent and have better ET/TS if you allow automatic shifts...

you will have to adjust the shift points (shift as high as your engine can tolerate; upgrade your valvetrain if necessary).

perhaps a 4l60 would be better?.when manually shifting my car always seems to have a sleep before it shifts.
    i do what joecar recomends and program the shifts to suit you seem to need to allow 500 od rpm for the std box to change at wot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast