Thread: New to the tuning world

Default New to the tuning world

hey everyone,
    fixing to get my first LS1 car, it already has some basic mods on it and im looking at doing a lot more. With that said ive always heard about EFI live and would like to use it so i wont have to keep going back and paying money to re-tune my car after i mod it. However i dont know a thing about tuning, but i am willing to learn the ways. Where do i need to get started to learn how to use EFI live?

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Hi freak..Welcome to the forum.

I'll give you a few links to start with. Read all the Tutorials and stickies, especially all of EFILive's Scan & Tune manuals. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....tire-VE-Table. Also,http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-Summary-Notes

And Joecar's Summary Notes: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-Summary-Notes

Thats a start..Read, learn to log first, then you can work into improving your Tune. Takes about 1-3 months of studying before you will really be ready to tune. Ask questions if you get stuck.

Good luck..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Hi z28_freak,

Welcome to the forum

What year/model do you have...? What mods are on it...?

Do this:
    - install V7 and V8 software from the www.efilive.com downloads page;
    - the software install includes documentation for the scantool and tunetool, read these;
    - also includes some tutorials, read these;
    - read the tutorials on the www.efilive.com downloads page;
    - play with the software (includes some log and tune sample files (from real vehicles)).

Read Greg Banish's two books, available from Amazon, these give you a broad scope on how the PCM functions with regards to calibrations tables.

Read from the links in my sig below.

Thanks for the welcomes and the info guys.
    Im going to hopefully be trading into a 98 Z28 this weekend. It has SLP headers, full 3in exhaust with SLP resonators, and no cats. It also has a SLP lid. Currently the guy has a hypertech programmer on the car, which i have heard are junk?? My brother has a 05 Z71 sierra with a diablo sport predator and he loves it. So within the first week or so of reading and learning about the EFI live software, would i be able to do some basic tunes ie: tune out the cats, tune it for the exhaust and air intake? Im hoping to be able to learn this stuff, not only for the satifaction of doing it myself but also so i dont have to pay someone else for a custom tune every time i mod the car.

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Tuning 'out the cats' is pretty easy. The quicker you learn how to operate the Scan Tool & log, the quicker you can do even a basic tune.

Even though what you are describing is basic, there is still a learning curve. But, not only can it be fun..you save a lot of money not having to pay someone else to tune..
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

ok so if what i said was a "basic" tune, what all would i be able to do with the software? Also would it be bennificial for me to start reading and learning about it even without owning it so i can get a jump start? And is the software mac friendly? Thanks for the help

The software runs on Windows.

On my MacBook Pro, I installed Boot Camp which allowed creating a native WinXP bootable partition.

Some people run Fusion or Parallels and run WinXP/Win7 on the virtual machine, but I don't like having so many layers of software.

What has to be mastered: using the scantool to display logged data in chart and map form.

Just dont get in a hurry and take your time. If you are unsure about something post up the question. If your willing to put in the time on your own there are plenty of people on here willing to help when you get stuck or need advice. Tuning takes time so dont get frustrated if its a slow process at first to learn.