Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Allison bug in 139?

An update for today, and I'm happy to say a successful one although it also brings with it another question.

Simply because it was an easy test, I first left the batteries disconnected overnight but there was no positive change today. Which I pretty much expected buy hey it was an easy test.

So next I used my other laptop (running W7 build 154) and flashed the same stock tune in from the external drive I used yesterday (same one I tried yesterday with no success) and now it works fine?? TCC functions work perfect in both normal and tow/haul so everything is back to normal. My question is- what is or was the issue? Possibly something on my other laptop (running XP BTW) that I have always used with no issues? Perhaps I should un-install everything on it and re-install? Could all the tunes on it be compromised as well?

Sorry, I guess that's more than a single question.

Lifetime Member

I highly doubt its the laptop screwing something up, you would have more errors popping up. How old is the Windows XP install on your laptop? Might be time to rebuild it, I usually only let my XP machines go for 8-12mo before I rebuilt them. My W7 install on my old laptop has been hacked up mercilessly by me and after 2.25 years is still going strong (started with W7 beta, then RC, then RTM, then SP1 without formatting plus messing with lots of different software/registry hacks/etc) so Id say its a little more stable haha.

Does it work when you flash the TCC updated tune in with your W7 laptop? Why not try BBF'ing it too.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Although at this point I don't feel its a computer issue either, I have to say for my XP being nearly 5 years old now (without a single issue ever) I first suspected it may be the cause. However after doing some additional testing today I'm still not certain what the cause is. I've tried several different tunes that have been stored in various places (one from each computer and also from an external drive) and as long as it's a modified tune I lose TC function again. If I reload a stock tune in again it goes back to working fine. Although the stock tune I've used every time is from my external drive so that may be skewing my results a little.

I also made a script from my last known good tune and applied it to a stock tune (again from my external drive) and it was still a no go. So currently I'm back to running a stock tune again for now since this truck is my daily driver.

The next test I'm going to try is hand copy the tables from a modded tune to a stocker (again from the external drive) and give that a try to see the results.

-Mike

Spent a little more time today trying to get to the bottom of this and successfully found the root issue. Turns out that between build 133 and 154 the TC tables for “normal” “hot trans” “4low” and “tow/haul” switched. I know these tables have been an ongoing issue back and forth with certain years and OS’s for a long time so perhaps I should have caught it sooner but for mine they have always been correctly labeled throughout all updates. But after the update to 154 (and 155) they are now incorrect for my OS. I’ve had the TC apply speeds in both the hot and 4low columns set at 158 MPH for well over a year but with the build update reversing the tables the “new” tow/haul tables were now populated with a value of 158 MPH…...thus no TC apply in T/H.

Since discovering this I returned all columns back to stock except normal mode and it works fine regardless of which tune I use, where it’s been stored, which computer I use or which current software version I use (154 or 155).

And just this evening I went back to my original adjustment I was attempting to make when this all first began, which was adjusting TC release to throttle input to get the TC released sooner during throttle roll on and I’m happy to report it’s working sweet.

Thank you all for the help, it's invaluable.

- Mike
    Last edited by Big Mike; March 16th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

Lifetime Member

Glad you got it sorted, Ive heard that everyone wants those tables a different way so EFILive's switched them around a few times. Hope they stay the same now!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12