Thread: Two issues: Options.txt and can't detect pcm

Default Two issues: Options.txt and can't detect pcm

Here's my setup:
    1998 K3500 with Vortec 7.4L

I just successfully read the PCM, changed my injector flow rates, and reflashed the PCM, so I know the hardware is working. I also made sure everything was updated (software,firmware,bootblock). Firmware is 2.07.07, Bootblock is 2.07.01,

However, when setting up 7.5Scan so I can look start logging, I can't get it to find the PCM. I entered my VIN, the correct OS, transmission. I don't have the correct engine option (NEED to find a way to get the 7.4L in the dropdown list), and approx weight.

I've also changed the controller setting to Vortec 98-00 PCM.

When I click connect it goes through various checks, and get's "Not detected" errors for PCM, ECM and TCM. (I only have a PCM, no E OR T in these trucks).

So, scantool V7.5 only communicates with the V2 box. Yes, I double checked the cabling.

Also, when trying to use the V2 box standalone, it powered up fine from the cable, and I can use the various menu options. However, when selecting anything that needs to talk with the PCM, I get an error message "options.txt" not found.

So it seems to me that the tune tool software had no problem connecting to the PCM, but standalone and Scan tool can't do it. Please help.
    Last edited by skills4lou; March 13th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
    New to EFILive, been wrenching for about 20 yrs now. Current project: 1998 Chevy K3500, L29

Options.txt: when in V8 S&T->BBX did you Program to FlashScan V2...?

Hmm....missed that little step! Although the "program" button only has options to to "selections only" or "all required data". I unchecked all the unused controllers (everything except L31/Vortec 98-00) and let it program everything. After dinner I'll take it back out and see what happens.
    New to EFILive, been wrenching for about 20 yrs now. Current project: 1998 Chevy K3500, L29

btw, from what I can see V8 looks to be a more intuitive/easier interface for newbs. I like it!

So you'll all sorted now?

V8 is a complete redevelopment of the EFILive software tools. As a brief view into the past. Rewind to the beginning of 2005 when the V7 software and FlashScan V1 first hit the market. Back then we supported only the LS1 PCM controller, and that is what the software was ultimately designed to support. Fast forward a few years and the number of controllers that we supported had grown substantially. Because of the design constraints it has always been fairly difficult to introduce additional controller support into this V7 framework. V8 is designed from the beginning with the lessons learned over this time and allows for much simpler expansion as new controllers and manufacturers need to be incorporated.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    So you'll all sorted now?

Cheers,
    Yup, just have to figure out how to get the correct PIDs loaded in so I can log 'em the right way. Wanting to look at LTFT's, Spark advance, knock retard, rpm, MAP and MAF mostly for.

Thanks for the brief history. I've been tinkering w/7 for a little while, but it's much easier to learn when you can actually use the V2 with it, as opposed to just pretending its there.

Quote Originally Posted by skills4lou View Post
    Yup, just have to figure out how to get the correct PIDs loaded in so I can log 'em the right way. Wanting to look at LTFT's, Spark advance, knock retard, rpm, MAP and MAF mostly for.
    See post #4 here: Need-a-PID-list-please-Blown-Silverado

Thanks Joe, I think I've got it figured out. Had to uncheck the unused pcms in Tune and scan tabs, then move the PIDs I wanted over from the right side to the left. Then clicked program along the bottom (V8 btw) and it seems to be in there. Used EFI Explorer and I can see the files in the config tab. Probably won't get a chance to actually log until tomorrow afternoon. We had two of our feed tractors go down, so we need to get 'em up and running ASAP. Have to replace a radiator in one and fix PTO clutches in another.

No worries, take care of stuff, take your time.