Thread: Swapping engines

Lifetime Member

Default Swapping engines

Howdy folks. I'm about to replace the engine in my Silverado. The new engine is in the shop now. I'm pulling the worn out 5.3L out and putting in a 4.8L. If DD2000 is anything to go by the new engine at the crank will be making 386HP at 5500RPM, 412TQ at 4000RPM, and the torque band will be 335TQ or better pretty much from idle to redline. I'm really hoping DD2000 doesn't take the LS1's efficiency into account with this.

Anyway, after I get the new engine in I'll be installing a wideband and doing the proper tuning. Herein lies the problem. How well will the existing program handle the new engine between the initial install and tuning? The engine will need to be broken in, then driven to an exhaust shop to have a new system installed. I'm figuring I should be good to go if I just adjust the cylinder volume to be accurate, then back timing off about 5 degrees across the board. Anything else I need to be worried about? Thanks.

not sure about the engines you are talking about we just have ls1 in Australia. if your using the computer from the 5.3 to run the 4.8 unless they have the same heads and injectors and ignition setup you will have to change all the parameters. if the injectors are the same etc. and all the other sensors ie reluctor and cam sensors it should just plonk in and run. just richen the ve table a bit to be safe befor tuning ve and other tables correctly. if they are different you need to correct the injector tables etc then it will run fine but ve table will need adjusting according to new engine efficiency. If its a roller cam doesn't need running in as such just fire it and don't go to crazy.

Lifetime Member

Nathan, the 5.3L and 4.8L are iron block aluminum head variants of that LS1 engine you guys have down south. GM has been putting them in full size trucks since 1999. The only physical difference between the 4.8 and 5.3 I'm using is the stroke and bore. Just want to make sure the computer isn't going to kill the new engine before I have a chance to tune it, as it's going to have to travel between 500 and 1000 miles on the existing tune.

Lifetime Member

The 4.8 is going to be super rich as the tune is setup for the 5.3.

Why not grab a stock 4.8L file off HoldenCrazy and flash that in? That would be super easy and then you can use that as the base file to tune off of.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Good idea. I guess having an extra tenth of a liter would be better than being short half a liter.