Thread: Need to make DSP5 switch

Lifetime Member

Default Need to make DSP5 switch

I read the tutorial and i've seen one with actual photos but can't find it. I got the swtich and got the capicitor and resistors soldered in but not sure where to go from there. The one tutorial I seen had one of the wires from the last resistor wrapped around and soldered to all the other ones. that confused me. anybody help me with where to go from where i'm at or have a good tutorial for making the dsp5 switch? Thanks.

Lifetime Member

I'm assuming you are talking about my thread on DP? "HOW TO: Build you own DSP5 switch on the cheap!"

the function of the wire wrapped around the polls is to complete the circuit. if those polls are not connected together the ECM would be stuck on the base tune. And this is the coolest thing about that design, if you prefer that the switch operates in reverse all you have to do is de-solder or otherwise break the connection on one side of the switch and switch it to the other.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Lifetime Member

So you don't have to take that wire wrapped from the last resistor and solder it to the ground? by looking at the diagram it looks like all the resistors are attached to the ground.

Lifetime Member

They are. but you are using a 2 pole switch not a 1 pole. current is only flowing through one of the resistors a time not all of them. trust me it works. if you build it like i posted on DP you will have a working DSP5 switch for around $10.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Lifetime Member

Wierd got it built and tested it with my meter after I made it and it switched resistances fine. Got it hooked up in truck and the #1 and #4 positions worked like normal but the #2 and #3 show 0 volts. But whats wierder is even though they show 0volts it shows it's in dsp4. Wondering if when I put the heat shrink tubing on the inner resistors I fried them, I heard they are very sensitive to heat. I don't know wierd stuff.

Lifetime Member

In general, resistors are extremely heat resistant. The least expensive carbon and metal film resistors at Mouser are rated to 155C and soldering up to 260C for 10 seconds. There is essentially no way you exceeded and even then, it's still almost impossible to hurt a resistor. They tend to keep working even if you get them hot enough to burn the paint off.

Ira

Lifetime Member

Yeah but I had some heat shrink like the little tubes they use for weatherproof butt connectors on the inner three. And couldn't find a lighter so I had one of those mini torches to shrink them lol. So I probably fired them. Oh well i'll try to make anohter one I bought a bunch of parts. Thanks guys i'll give it anohter shot.

Lifetime Member

Ok any ideas I did it just like your post bballer, i tried 3 times and made 3 switches and all i get is non dsp on position 1 and dsp 4 the rest of the positions. It's wierd too cause the positions in the middle show like .1v on my scanner.