Thread: Questions on adding ETC

Default Questions on adding ETC

I've got a Vortec 5.7/4L60E in my 2002 4WD truck (Sonoma ZR2) that I am going to mod with EFI Connections 24X reluctor and add the LS2 coil packs. No problem doing this...but now I would like to add electronic throttle to the mix. I'd like to keep 4WD functioning and have the ETC working as well. Been trying to find a base tune I can use with the '411 PCM. What determines if a tune can support ETC or not, as well as 4WD? Will doing some segment swapping from various tunes work, or is it the operating system that solely determines these things? Do I just change these things in the vehicle platform options?

Any help/suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by bvd80; March 17th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

Lifetime Member

Do you have the engine working in the truck now, or are you going to do the swap soon? If its running now, arent you using a LS1 PCM already...thats what the 4.3L V6s used in 02 IIRC.

You're going to need to run an OS that supports ETC, some LS1 PCMs do not support it as they dont have the hardware but I dont know which hardware pt #s those are. I know Vettes used ETC from 97 on, so that might be an OS option.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Smile

There are so many

posts, in many forums about ETC and the frustrations and problems it causes people, it may prove to be more trouble to you than it's worth.

Most wish they could go the other way!

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Do you have the engine working in the truck now, or are you going to do the swap soon? If its running now, arent you using a LS1 PCM already...thats what the 4.3L V6s used in 02 IIRC.

You're going to need to run an OS that supports ETC, some LS1 PCMs do not support it as they dont have the hardware but I dont know which hardware pt #s those are. I know Vettes used ETC from 97 on, so that might be an OS option.
    Yes, its been running for almost 3 years now on this setup. I am using the '02 LS1 PCM that came with the V6. I actually thought about using one of the Vette tunes...could I still have 4WD using it?

Lifetime Member

Oh ok, there's a good chance that PCM already has the necessary ETC components installed. I dont see a reason why you couldnt populate the Vette 4WD Lo tables, I know 4WD would still work but the OS might not have the 4WD tables included to control the early 4WD shifts (tow/haul didnt come on the early Blazer, I had a 96 without it, do the later ones?).

Check the pinout differences, you might have to move some wires around on the PCM to make the Vette OS work.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

have you contacted Mike at EFIconnection? the base tune is essential, you'll definitely need a ETC based tune for it to work. I kept my cable throttle when I did the 24x setup on my L31. there is likely a vehicle platform that came from the factory with 4wd and ETC running a OS that is usable on the 411, but even without it, you might be able to take a '02 vette base tune (ETC) and do a trans segment swap from a '02 4wd truck...but Mike (s10wildside) would be the guy to talk to about it.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Lifetime Member

Ah very true, could do a seg swap to use the stock OSs trans segment. But then the TCC would continue to unlock with 0% throttle, this could be accomplished by using the Vette OS trans seg. Wish I could get around this on my TBSS but unfortunately I havent found a car TCM that communicates properly with my TBSS ECM OS.
    ~Erik~