Thread: Can you log boost?

Default Can you log boost?

I was just wondering if there was a way to do this? I have yet to buy EFILive FlashScan, but plan to do so within the next month. My goals are to eventually run an SD OS, and a mild twin turbo setup. I've never tuned anything before, so I've got a lot of reading ahead of me.

Yes you can, but you need to replace the stock MAP a 2 bar MAP senor so it will "see" the boost.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Lifetime Member

Or just get an external 2 or 3 bar map sensor and connect it to the 5V input on the Flashscan.

Ira

I'm new to tuning and have an STS powered SSS, I just got flashscan and have been doing alot of reading on all off what you guys have to offer. I want to log my boost and i have an autometer phantom boost gauge, can i just tap into the signal that the gauge recives and hook that up to flashscan or is there something more to it. TIA

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chpspecial
    I'm new to tuning and have an STS powered SSS, I just got flashscan and have been doing alot of reading on all off what you guys have to offer. I want to log my boost and i have an autometer phantom boost gauge, can i just tap into the signal that the gauge recives and hook that up to flashscan or is there something more to it. TIA
    What type of signal does the gauge receive? If it is just a voltage between 0 and 5 volts, then yes you can. You'd need to make up a calculated PID to convert the voltage into a boost value. If you can find out what voltage indicates what pressure value then it is fairly trivial to set up the calculated PID.

One thing to check, I'm not sure if there would be any issues logging the boost voltage with FlashScan and displaying the boost on the gauge simultaneously. Any electronics gurus care to comment on that?

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks for the reply blacky, i'll check into this more and see what i find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    What type of signal does the gauge receive? If it is just a voltage between 0 and 5 volts, then yes you can. You'd need to make up a calculated PID to convert the voltage into a boost value. If you can find out what voltage indicates what pressure value then it is fairly trivial to set up the calculated PID.

One thing to check, I'm not sure if there would be any issues logging the boost voltage with FlashScan and displaying the boost on the gauge simultaneously. Any electronics gurus care to comment on that?

Regards
    Paul
    As long as the input impedance of the A/D chip in the Flashscan is high compared to the source impedance of the sender, there shouldn't be a problem.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

is the 2br map a direct fit part? Can you take the factory map out and install the 2bar map?

2 bar map GM PN 12580698 was a direct replcement for my truck. I would think it is on the cars as well. The one on the left is stock and the right is 2 bar.

01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

thank you I'm new at the FI game