Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help on 99 454, cant rev past 4800

I have the same setup (L29/blackbox), but my internals are all stock. I've never had mine to 4500rpm, and rarely get over 3K. So, I can't really help you with the higher revs. But, I've looked through MY tune, and I too can't find anything that would kill it at a certain rpm. Speed cutouts are there, and highly effective, but nothing that really points to "set this to x, and you'll rev to y".
    I did consider doing the 411 swap before burning up a VIN License on my black box. But, for me I didn't think it would be worth it. My truck gets maybe 5k miles/year. Its not a show/race/high speed anything. I'm tuning it to get the best mpgs I can out of a thirsty BBC. If I happen to get better performance so be it, but that's not really what I'm after on THIS rig. Down the road....who knows. So I can understand you wanting to stick with the black box ecm. Hang in there, you'll get 'er figured out. As for the 411, most junk yards have 'em for dang cheap, and they'll usually let you take the connectors/harness if you ask nicely. I've know guys to do the whole swap for less than $100.
    New to EFILive, been wrenching for about 20 yrs now. Current project: 1998 Chevy K3500, L29

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    I think he said it is not a shifting issue.The changes you made wont address his problem immediately.OP hog said it correct but schwoch1 is alsocorrect. You cant seem to be able to raise the rev limiter in your ecm. With the mods you have done to your truck you would really enjoy a 411 swap on that rig. You will be glad you did and never look back.
    OK so if its not a shifting issue, then why wouldnt the changes I made fix his problem? He says it cant rev past 4800rpms, well his shift points were set to 4800 so of course its not going to go higher than that. There might not be a rev limiter table that we can access, but if the upshift tables let it rev past 4800 does it actually matter (and those serve as a rev limiter)?

Mathis, flash that tune in and see if it revs higher than 4800. If it does, then you can set the upshift at RPM tables to whatever you want and it will work (within reason). If it doesnt, then probably an 0411 PCM swap isnt a bad idea (or even if it does fix the issue).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Iv already tried that. iv set my shift rpms to 5200 but it still cuts out at the same 4900. Where may i find a good how to on the 411 swap. Also where would i get a tune for the 02 van with a 4l80, and how does one change the OS. one more thing. does a vortec 350 tune have a rev limiter setting? Why couldnt i just use a 350 Os or tune or whatever and change the displacement?

Lifetime Member

Well for one EFILive doesnt support full flashing the Vortec PCMs so I dont believe you can use a 350 tune and change the tables to your 454 ones.

Didnt know you tried upping those tables, didnt catch that.

Contact Jeff (Lextech) via PM, he has the wiring diagrams you'll need to get the swap under way! As for the tune, holdencrazy.com under Stock Tunes has 02 Express Van tunes both with the 60E and 80E already on there. Completely stock files, just had the segment swap done for the 80E one. Lots of people say its painless, just unplug the pins from your Vortec PCM connectors and insert them into the LS1 PCM connectors (number/name them first of course).
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    OK so if its not a shifting issue, then why wouldnt the changes I made fix his problem? He says it cant rev past 4800rpms, well his shift points were set to 4800 so of course its not going to go higher than that. There might not be a rev limiter table that we can access, but if the upshift tables let it rev past 4800 does it actually matter (and those serve as a rev limiter)?

Mathis, flash that tune in and see if it revs higher than 4800. If it does, then you can set the upshift at RPM tables to whatever you want and it will work (within reason). If it doesnt, then probably an 0411 PCM swap isnt a bad idea (or even if it does fix the issue).
    No Erik , those are shift points , rev limiters are usually "spark" or "fuel cut off" .
    Have only had one experience with the Black Box PCM and wish I never had .
    Do yourself a favor , 0411 PCM .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    No Erik , those are shift points , rev limiters are usually "spark" or "fuel cut off" .
    I know, I was being overly hopeful that the actual rev limit was much higher in a hidden table and upping the WOT shift points would let it shift higher. Cant win all the time right?
    ~Erik~

Did you set the WOT shift table to higher? WOT Shift RPM and WOT Shift Speed (I usually leave the WOT Shift Speed down and let the WOT Shift RPM do the work).

The normal mode shift table will mess it up. Also, unset the TCC to not lock at WOT too.
    I owned a Ford once, ONCE.......

Look at D1092, D1093 and D1094.

You can just go to manual 2 (unless you fixed manual low upshift) and rev and see if goes to higher than it was, just don't get near WOT.
    I owned a Ford once, ONCE.......

Yeah iv tried that, still dont rev higher. And as for the tcc clutch. for some reason no matter what i set it at my truck still locks up at wot as soon as it shifts to 2nd, i am currently working with blackbear to fix that problem. Also i didnt relize about the not being able to full flash the vortec pcms. So i guess i will probably swap to the 411. I will pm lextech. Got a stupid question though. how the hell do you get the pins pulled out of the old connectors in tact in order to insert them in the new conectors? thanks alot men

Lifetime Member

Hello Mathis,

If you want to remove the pins / wires from the 4 Vortec PCM connectors, and port them over to the 2 LS1-B style connectors - you don’t require any special tools.

The pins pull straight out the back of the connector, once you release the plastic locking tab on the other side - I generally use a small screwdriver and / or my fingers. If you first remove the Red and Blue pieces of plastic from the LS1-B connectors, the “locking” mechanism for the pins will become readily apparent. Same goes for the Vortec connectors (Blue / Red / Clear / Black).

Installation is a simple “push to seat” exercise.

Regards,
    Taz

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast