Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid question please help!

Default stupid question please help!

I really hoped my first post wasn't a dumb question ....... but.......
    I have spent all day trying to find the control for the reverse lockout in the 7.5 tune software with no luck.
    The story as I see it is:
    my car is a 98 corvette mn6 ls1 euro spec, it seems I reached the limits of a 98 pcm for tuning so I changed the wiring and pcm to a 2002.
    I took it to a tuner who tried his best to tune the car using a custom operating system.
    after a few weeks I managed to get the car trailered home and found no A|C working, no reverse lockout disengaging, and no fuel guage . Also it just doesn't drive right.
    So I bought efilive.
    using the tune depository i copied the fuel guage parameters and now the guage works.
    I have been reading up and it seems that I may have a auto tune hence the lack of reverse gear people say I need to copy from my original manual tune but I cant because my old tune is a different operating system I'm sure its just a simple on /off but cannot find it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Hello m58mw,

The OS in the tune you posted is displayed as “01250003” – which I believe is a 2001 COS (dual spark / SD / valet).

Given that you are experiencing difficulties with the functionality of various systems - I would recommend starting from a stock tune - and making modifications from this “clean sheet” type platform.

I would begin with an appropriate 2002 Corvette tune, and adapt it to your 1998 vehicle. I took a quick look at some of these OEM Corvette tunes - MAP values appear to be the same, injector flow rate is a little greater in the 2002 tune, the MAF values appear greater in the 1998 tune, plus many other subtle differences.

Regards,
    Taz

I do specifically need a speed density tune as I'm running a vortech supercharger and was having problems with MAf once the blow off valve opens so messing up the mixture as you open the throttle

Lifetime Member

Sorry … should have been more clear … the application of the COS is partially based on the OEM tune values - that is the values of the OEM tune are copied into the COS - that eventually becomes the tune you use in the vehicle.

Come up with a stock tune that “works” - gauges, A/C, reverse lock out, etc - then apply the appropriate COS (SD / 2 & 3 bar) - then tune from this point.

This may have been what your “tuner” attempted, but obviously something went wrong. The tune you posted had several “out of range” values - which are a common occurrence when upgrading to a COS - but these should have been corrected prior to use.

When you downloaded the EFILive software the manuals & tutorials should have downloaded also - there should be about a dozen *.pdf files. These are usually found in C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc. There will be a Tutorial subfolder - have a look at the “Custom OS Upgrade Tutorial”.

Regards,
    Taz

EDIT: There is also an interactive tutorial on the EFILive home page. Under "Downloads" select "Documentation / Tutorials" - then under the "Tutorials (Interactive)" heading select "How to Load a Custom Operating System".
    Last edited by Taz; January 17th, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: - more info

Hi m58mw,

I agree with Taz for what my opinion's worth.

Looking at the tune file you've posted:
    It is an M6 file (compared your file with a stock 2001 ZO6).

Are you aware your ECT table {B5910} has been zeroed ...also your IAT table {B5911} has also been altered dramatically which are two basic and fundamental safety parameters that should not be too far at all from stock IMO, if you want the engine to live.

Tip: {C3907} TPS vs RPM Test Lower needs 0 entered into the 800rpm box (info on the forum available about this).

Good luck!
    Last edited by Sid447; January 24th, 2011 at 07:31 AM.

this ECT thing? could this be the reason 3 pcm's have failed with processor faults?

Lifetime Member

Hello m58mw,

A brief narrative of what you have attempted, and what appears to be going wrong, would be helpful in providing you with some feedback.

Regards,
    Taz

ok long story
    there was a couple of points I missed out in my earlier posts during the tuning process with about the only guy that I found in England who sounded slightly competent (I'm no longer convinced he was even slightly competent).
    so after the wiring and pcm change during tuning, for no apparent reason the pcm died, processor faults, the tuner said "it happens sometimes" so I bought another ecu this also died in the same way i bought another ecu , the tuning got "finished" I dragged the car home and asked you guys for help with things not working (see above) I fixed the fuel guage and found a wire in the wrong place then the control wire for the reverse lockout caught up in the plug causing a short once the plug was bolted to the pcm so once this was repaired I assumed this was the reason for the dead PCM's
    this weekend the weather was warm enough to get the car out so I went to the drags. I trailered the car there and did 4 runs then the ecu failed again it came up engine over temp on the dash and reduced power in fact exactly these symptoms http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....960#post140960
    so my question is could these ECT tables sid447 mentioned be the problem? why would they have been changed and what difference would they make?

the tune seems to work quite well I ran 11.55 so could I simply change the ect values to an original? what do the changes do?

Lifetime Member

The tune you posted today (March 27/11) in the other thread (Vortec V6/V8 Specific) is the exact same tune you posted in this thread on January 16/11. The discussed “out of range” values have not been corrected.

The values in your tune for B5910 (Spark ECT Table) and B5911 (Spark IAT Table) are within the parameters allowed by the software, and it is therefore doubtful these caused the PCM to fail. Having these tables “zeroed out” may not allow for optimal engine protection - which I believe was the point of Sid447’s previous comment.

Nice to hear you were able to resolve some of the issues by correcting deficits with the wiring harness and / or pinouts. Given your experience with your previous tuner, I would recommend going through the wiring harness wire by wire, pin by pin - to eliminate this as a potential variable.

The reduced power mode (or limp mode) is often triggered in forced induction applications that exceed the ETC Predicted Airflow (C6101) - but a DTC is generally set. In your tune the C6101 values have set to the maximum, so this shouldn’t have been contributory.

You described your reduced power mode was triggered (or proceeded) by an engine over temperature message. In your tune the Engine Protection Coolant Temp Upper Threshold (B1601) is set at 270 degrees F. Did the engine get that hot ? Were any DTC’s set ?

Forced Induction tuning is not my area of expertise …

Regards,
    Taz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast