Thread: DSP 5 Help

Default DSP 5 Help

Hey guys new here and need some help. I'll try to be brief but cover everything. I was putting a DSP5 in a buddies LBZ. Broke the pin pushed it back out put a new pin on the wire tried to get it to set no luck. Got another DSP switch got the plug to set grounded it to the body and can not get the switch to change voltage in the PIDs when I run the scan tool.

I have tested the new switch with an ohm meter and it showed a change in ohms. I tested the ground with a light and it's grounded. I've even changed the ground to make sure it was grounded. The reason I didn't use the plug in the ECM is when I did my LMM I had a hard time getting to that hole and found it was easier to ground to the body, so I took the same approach.

I see where the new pin has come through the middle and felt the click as I pushed it in. I can not pull the new pin out like I could the old so this is telling me its in. I did push the pin out some thinking it may have been to deep but when I tried to push the pink thing back in it would go in then. So I pushed the pin back to where the pink thing slide all the way in.

I am in the second row third hole (46) to the right with the wider side of the pin towards the grey wire in 47. Looking at the plug from left to right with the bundle to the right there are two wires then the grey DSP a space then another wire.

The only thing I didn't do was disconnect the battery when I did the install would/could this be the reason I'm not getting a voltage change? Please help. Thanks

Ok I disconnected the batteries and left them unhooked for about 10 mins. Never unplugged the ECM but it was enough time to reset the clock and stuff still no change in voltage on the scan tool. I am going to try grounding to the battery and if that don't work I'm going to try and get the ground in the ECM. Hopefully I will see a change in voltage with it being grounded to the battery. Any advice, help or tell me Im plum dumb and need to do X would be greatly appreciated.

Lifetime Member

OK so it sounds like the pin seated correctly then. Stupid question but you've full flashed the DSP5 tune correct? Also, depending on the resistors used you might have to adjust the DSP switching voltages too.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    OK so it sounds like the pin seated correctly then. Stupid question but you've full flashed the DSP5 tune correct? Also, depending on the resistors used you might have to adjust the DSP switching voltages too.
    Ok these questions are above my pay grade. Resistors?? I did a full flash however I wasn't concerned with it not reading the tunes yet because I haven't seen the changes in voltage to tell me the switch is working. Now I did load the DSP5 tune and tested the switch thinking maybe something is wrong with my laptop but was wrong when I did a test drive and plugged up to my LMM. Which leads me to believe that the ground could be the issue. I haven't had a chance to change the ground to another location yet but that is in the works. I'm planning on straight to the battery or if that don't do it to the ECM as much of a pain that plug is to get to. I'm thinking even thought the test light shows a ground maybe its not enough of a ground to be a good ground for the ECM. (Think I'm saying that right) Is this possible??

He is suggesting that you log the dsp voltage PID, for the different switch positions, and compare it to the voltage settings in you tune. They can be found in each dsp folder
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"