Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p 1631 code

Default p 1631 code

i bought a new ecm and tcm for my truck (e67 2009 colorado 5,3l a4)
    so that i could chang them out and tune them and keep my stock one.
    that way if i bricked it i would have my stock one to put in. i installed the to computers and got a p1631 code and the crank relearn code .
    the problem is it will not even turn over the motor . so my question is what do i do now?
    here is my stock tune and the one out of the new ecm
    thanks for any info on what to due
    donald[ATTACH]10298[/ATTACH
    Attached Files Attached Files

sorry about that here they are
    Attached Files Attached Files

Was it a 'brand spanky new' PCM from GM, or a used unit from a boneyard?
    I have heard that there are some tables the EFI Live will not transfer over to a new PCM when doing a full reflash. Usually they are electronic throttle related items.... but who knows... You may need a full flash with a Tech 2 or a J2534 compliant device to get it up and going???
    Hope someone else knows more than I do!!!

Mike
    PS I would look at the files but I am on a Mac right now and EFI Live and Mac don't play... will look later!!!
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

i got it from a company that dose tuning by mail and in person
    donald

Lifetime Member

Hello Donald,

If you purchased the ECM from a reputable company, odds are the programming has been done correctly.

What Mike was saying is true - EFILive or other tuning software will not turn a V6 compatible E67 / E38 into a V8 compatible ECM - even with selecting a Full Flash (Calibration & OS). An appropriate “base tune” must be flashed with a Tech 2 (or similar device).

OK … that aside, P1631 is a VATS related DTC. I'm guessing the ECM was not configured to automatically relink with the BCM on first power up.

In your truck, connect the V2 and turn on the ignition to the run position. Open the V7.5 Tune Tool … click on the Flash menu heading at the top of the screen. Select “PCM security” from the drop down menu. Select your controller (E67) and connect. Select the VAT relink tab and click VAT and / or relink (can’t remember that screen exactly).

This will configure the ECM to look for, and connect with, a BCM when the ECM next receives ignition power (when you turn on the key).

Close the Tune Tool, turn off the ignition key, remove the V2 - wait at least 15 seconds.

After this turn the ignition key to the run position, but don’t try to crank the engine for a few seconds - then try to start the engine. You may have to turn the key to the off position and try cranking a second time, if it doesn’t start right away.

LS1-B guy … have never tuned an E67 … hopefully this gets you going.

Regards,
    Taz

thank you that i hope will take care of it i will put it back in and try it in the morning
    you guys are the best that is for sure

Shoot.... you are right taz...... If I woulda bothered to register the P1631 code, I seen crank sensor code and glanced over the P1631 assuming it was the crank relearn code, you know what the say about assuming............
    Do what Taz said, and then do a crank relearn, and you should be fine. I am also an LS1-B guy, but about to get balls deep into E67 tuning. kinda leary of it.... hopefully it aint as bad as some say it is!!!
    Hope this all gets you going!!!

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

well i will find out in the morning yea and i hope learning the e67 ain't all that bad lol
    thanks
    Donald

ok i i gave it a try and it did not work i will mess with it some more this weekend (got to work) and it is raining now thanks again for the help
    donald

Lifetime Member

Sorry to hear that ... you can also try a VAT link using ignition key cycles ... on the road again today - no access to manuals ... something like key to run position for 11 minutes then off for 3 minutes, cycle repeated 3 times ... if you don't have a service manual for your vehicle, check will your local GM dealer for specifics of the key cycle VAT (or ECM / BCM) relink.

Regards,
    Taz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast